Z wave compatibility between alarm and cameras from different countries

I understand that alarm systems are only designed to work in certain countries due to different Z-wave frequencies of the components. Does the same apply to cameras such as the floodlight or do they use a different system and can still work with the alarm despite where they originated?

@Bruce5 wrote:
I understand that alarm systems are only designed to work in certain countries due to different Z-wave frequencies of the components. Does the same apply to cameras such as the floodlight or do they use a different system and can still work with the alarm despite where they originated?

The Alarm Sensors communicate with the Alarm Base utilizing Z-wave frequencies, but Iā€™m pretty sure that Ring Video Cameras do not use Z-Wave. Cameras use Wi-Fi to connect the camera to your Internet. And because the Alarm Base unit is also connected to Internet, they can ā€˜talkā€™ together.

BUT, since you are referring to ā€œcertain countriesā€, I am not sure that a camera purchased for one country will integrate with another countries Ring Alarm system. Beside different AC voltage power differences (for plug-in devices), Iā€™m just guessing now but I think there might possibly be some compatibility issues too. Ring Alarm Base Stations ARE different according to different countries.

I think there might be country Camera integration issues, because I was reading another different post by @Chelsea_Ring ( https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Availability-Indoor-Cam-in-Black/idi-p/23490 ). In some countries a person can buy Indoor cameras (which are plug-in) in either Black or White colors, and yet in other countries people currently can only buy white cams. That kind of makes me think, ā€œCan a person from another country who wants a black cam just buy a US Ring camera, and then use it in their country as long as the AC power is the same and plug adapters are used?ā€

I donā€™t know the answer to that. Is it just only the AC voltage power issue? Or just the different wall-plug outlets? Or are there additional compatibility issues that Iā€™m not aware of?

@Chelsea_Ring Can a person purchase a cam (direct from your website links) and it will work and integrate with the alarm system of another country (if there is not an AC voltage difference)?

Indoor Cam
Stick Up Cam Battery
Stick Up Cam Plug-In
Stick Up Cam Solar
Stick Up Cam Elite

Hey @Bruce5, @Boone is on the right track here as the Ring Cameras use wifi rather than Z-wave to communicate with the Ring App. In this case, we advise against purchasing Ring devices from a different region than the one youā€™re located in. This is because local guidelines and restrictions on home security can vary, and the hardware and power requirements can also vary. It is best to wait until the Ring device youā€™re interested in is available in your region to purchase and use it, otherwise, we cannot guarantee the performance. I hope this helps clear everything up. :slight_smile:

1 Like