Wired ring doorbell and Byron 776

I’ve got the ring wired doorbell and a Byron 776 doorbell, where does the resistor go to make the doorbell chime

Hi @Mikebfc. As mentioned on the product page for the Video Doorbell Wired, it does not ring your internal chime kit. To hear audio alerts in your home, pair with a Ring Chime or a compatible Alexa device.You can find installation instructions for the Ring Video Doorbell Wired in our Help Center Article here, and wiring diagrams here. Make sure the jumper cable is installed as demonstrated in the wiring diagram, and do not use anything additional that isn’t listed in the installation instructions.

I have bought the ring wired door bell but don’t have chime box in electric, what do I need for it to work plz :pray:

Hi, @192debab75f06e4cc1c39e4ae19e18! The Video Doorbell Wired is intended to be installed with a jumper cable, via the steps linked above. If you do not have a chime kit, or wish to power this another way, we do have Plug-In Adapter available on the accessories page at Ring.com. For any other installation method or if you are uncomfortable with the wiring, we advise consulting with a qualified electrician. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Hey guys,
Thought I’d give you an insight into easily powering a 2nd gen Ring doorbell from a Byron 776 doorbell (however, please see Note 1 below) and the steps you need to go through to making the Byron bell ding-dong when you press the Ring button. I’m amazed at the amount of misinformation and or partial info posted about this so I thought I’d help out.
Step 1 connections:
The bell has 4 output connections labelled 0, 1, 2, 3
Use a twin core wire to connect your Ring doorbell to connections 0 and 2 that’ll provide the highest voltage output. It doesn’t matter which wire connects to which terminal on the back of the Ring doorbell.
Step 2 Switch on the ‘In-home Chime’ setting on your app
Go through the following steps on the Ring App to make your Byron bell ding-dong when you press the Ring button:

1. Select the ‘Device Settings’ option
  2. Then select ’ In-home Chime Settings
  3. Then select ‘Automatic Chime Detection’
  4. Then select ‘Yes, I have an In-home Chime’
  5. Then select ‘Ring my In-home Chime’

Note 1
I have an old Byron doorbell that delivers 14.5V output.
I borrowed a new Byron doorbell and it claims to have an 8V output but measurement shows its well below that (around 6,5V) so I couldn’t guarantee the new Byron doorbell will provide sufficient power. Buy one from Toolstation and try it as you can return without hassle if it doesn’t work.
Note 2
I had an older 2nd gen doorbell and never had to go through the frustrating set up above to make my Byron bell ring (sorry ding-dong). I only posted this as I know other people will never discover these options and end up unnecessarily purchasing Ring Chimes!! Hope this helps a few people.

1 Like

Hi @hsghsg. Thank you for sharing this insight!