Wired Doorbell Ghost Rings

I just received a Ring Doorbell for my birthday and I installed it to an existing wired doorbell system. 2 days later, at around 3AM, I heard the doorbell ring…but, the Ring App didn’t show any motion or send any alerts. Last night at around 6PM, our doorbell rang again, and like before, no alerts on the App (we were home and confirmed that no one was outside ringing our doorbell). 15m later, the same thing happened. So, I called Ring Support and after describing my setup (we have a Utilitech Digital Door Chime and 3 entry ways to our house, each with its own doorbell, and a 30VA Transformer), the tech indicated that I should replace the 30VA doorbell transformer with a 16-24VA, which I plan to do tomorrow. He said that in a wired system like I have, the battery in the Ring doorbell receives a trickle charge and that too much output may damage the battery over time. So for now, I turned the breaker off for my doorbells. However, he really didn’t indicate that replacing the transformer will fix these “ghost rings” I am receiving. Again, the Ring Doorbell itself isn’t “chiming” or sending alerts, it’s just the Utilitech Digital Door Chime that is ringing. Could this be because I have the diode on backwards? Before securing the Ring doorbell to the installation plate, I verified that it along with my other 2 doorbells still worked and they did. I assumed at that point that I had the diode on correctly. Do you believe that the transformer may be causing this? Keep in mind that we had no ghost rings like that before I installed the Ring Doorbell and we built our house in 2012. I don’t think I am buying that replacing the transformer is going to fix these false doorbells. If anyone in the community has any suggestions I welcome them. Thanks for your help!

2 Likes

I would suggest that the cables might have insulation issue. could be old or exposed somewhere along. And when the cables have movement by something the exposed parts could touch each other and closes the ring bell circuit . so you should check the cables or any joining points (junction box) could have these issues. try to replace the cable between them and run them just loose and see if that changes the situation. regards

Thank you for the reply. The main doorbell wire coming out of my brick is unfortunately too short to reach the connectors on the Ring doorbell panel, so when I first installed it, I extended them by twisting new leads around the main wires and then wrapping electrical tape around them, so today, I went back and removed the tape and this time used butt splice connectors.

Per the advice of the Ring tech I called, I purchased a new 20VA transformer because he had said that the 30VA I currently have could damage the Ring doorbell battery. I was getting ready to replace the transformer but decided to call Ring back just to make sure. The instructions specifically state that for a 3 doorbell system (which is what I have), I need to use a 30VA transformer. A 1 doorbell system can be used with a 16VA, a 2 doorbell system can be used with a 24VA or a 30VA and a 3 doorbell system has to be used with a 30VA transformer: that is what the instructions on the transformer specifically state.

This time, the guy I spoke with at Ring said that a 30VA won’t hurt my Ring doorbell; he had me go into the Device Health on the App and the Power Status says “Very Good”, so he said for me not to worry about it.

So my question now is will a 30VA transformer damage the Ring doorbell? I’ve received 2 different answers from Ring phone support.

Thanks for your assistance.

Hello again. Unfortunately, I am still getting ghost rings on my wired door chime (NOT on the Ring doorbell itself). I just got off the phone with the manufacturer of the wired door chime and she explained to me that a wired doorbell works on an open circuit, so the only way it will chime is if the button closes the circuit or triggers the circuit somehow to close.

If I take the Ring doorbell off of the wired base, I am not getting these chimes. But if I put the Ring doorbell back on the base, I get the false chimes. Again, when I get the false chimes, Ring does not even show motion at the door or that someone is at my door.

Is there anything you can do to help me? I drilled 4 holes in our brick to support this device, but now I am regretting this decision because of the ghost chimes I am receiving. It’s not an overwhelming number (maybe 2 or 3 per day); but when they come at 3AM, it’s very aggravating.

Please advise.

Thank you

2 Likes

I have faced the same problem for over 2 years; but it appears to be seasonal. Happens 3 months of the year (winter/ spring). If you find a solution, let me know!

1 Like

I bought a new chime that is on their compatibility list (Hampton Bay Model # HB-7621-02)

and FINALLY, no more ghost rings. Here is a link to what I bought.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Wireless-or-Wired-Door-Bell-White-Bead-Board-HB-7621-02/206135494?cm_mmc=ecc-_-THD_SHIP_CONFIRMATION__V1_M1_CA-_-Product_URL

We installed our ring doorbell in May, and now in late October, we too are getting ghost rings. And these aren’t complete rings. It’s more a ‘ding’ rather than a ‘ding ding’.
It’s driving me nuts because it will do it at 3am

So I have also started to get get ghost ring. Particularly at 3 and 4am. What I have noticed though is happens when either a large truck or car drives by where the headlights hit the camera so briefly it rapidly goes from night mode to normal and then back again. I am wondering if that ends up pulling just enough current to chime the bell. Cause the ring does not acknowledge someone is at the door.

I’ve had the same issue , occured around five times in the last 2 years and 3 of those occasions were at 2 or 3 am, which were very disturbing. I had to disconnect the indoor chime at night. Once I replaced the diode on the back of the ring doorbell, which may have fixed it for around 6 months or so. Not sure if the diode was the problem. I think it is time to buy a new device or move to Nest or Arlo/simplisafe.

I’m having ghost rings quite often. And it has gotten worse in the last couple of days. Like others mentioned, it appears to be seasonal, colder weather triggers it. But why does it have to be 3-4 or 5 am. I’m at my wits end. My original ring worked great until the nightvision quit. Replaced with a pro and I get ghost rings. Replaced a perfectly working doorbell with one on the compatibility list. Still get them. The company is full of crap on this issue. There is a hardware issue that they’re denying. I removed the white capacitor and it didn’t help. Now I’ll remove the ring unit

I too have purchased a RING doorbell Pro. I have received ghost doorbell rings with my hardwired doorbell. Ring originally exchanged units with me and I had the same ghost rings. I have a Nutone LA-58 model of doorbell. It is not on the list of approved or disapproved units. Called RING and they told me that it was OK? I seem to get the same results as the rest of you.

Did you install the diode to the back of the RING Doorbell?

I had the problem a year ago. I later moved the Ring doorbell to my back door after installing a new one on the front door. It is now occasionally ringing the back door. It did notify Alexa that it rang one time and didn’t twice.
I am going to try cleaning the switch as suggested in another post and see if that works. It definitely is the Ring device because the one I installed on the front door does not do that. I did have to install a diode in both cases.

I’ve had this issue since my device was new. I believe the issue is my chimes are not a simple bell but rather a chime with low current requirements . given that when the Ring tries to charge its batteries it becomes a load low enough to ring the chimes.
So I measure how low a resistance it took to ring the bell. In my case it was 68 Ohms . I simply tied a 47 ohm resistor in series with the Ring device . so far so good . Bell rings as it should when button is pushed . just need verify that the Ring battery charges and stays charged.

Hi there, neighbors! There are a few Doorbell models mentioned in this thread, as well as a couple of shared solutions. As others have shared in this thread, ensuring your chime kit is compatible is the best first step. Here are our chime compatibility lists.

For neighbors with a Video Doorbell Wired, this model is not intended to sound your in home chime kit, as seen on the above linked page.

For neighbors with other Video Doorbell models, here are some great suggestive guides to wiring your Video Doorbells:

Lastly, ensure there are no issues with the wiring if you have your Ring Doorbell wired to an existing doorbell circuit. We recommend contacting a qualified electrician if you’re not comfortable looking at or handling the electrical wiring. If this issue persists, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. You can also get in touch with our support team on Facebook @Ring.

1 Like

I have had my ring over 2 years and the ghost ringing just started a month ago. Any reasoning for it to just start occurring after working fine for a long period.? It’s hard wired to a doorbell chime.

We’ve had the phantom rings for a couple months now. It scared us at first but we can almost predict when it will be. Around 2 or 3 am when it’s cold and wet out. My NuTone Ka 10 is compatible so it’s not that. I do have a 24 V transformer that was installed when the Ring was installed. I’m about ready to disconnect it and replace it with another brand. We like it a lot particularly the quick replies as well and the neighborhood notifications we get but the middle of the night rings need to stop. The Ring itself is about two years old.

Before I moved to my new house a little over 2 years ago. I had one Ring door bell with no issues. I bought a second Ring doorbell for the second front door. I was getting all kinds of Ghost rings with it. I contacted support and they had me reset the doorbell twice in the middle of winter. I up a storm and they sent me a new replacement. I installed that two years ago and have not had a Ghost ring until last week. I got 3 of them on different nights at 3:32am. Last night I got 2 Ghost rings in a row at 8:30pm. They have an issue that needs to be fixed.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.