Will the Ring floodlights ambient light sensor be affected by a light directly below it?

I’m looking to install an “up and down” light directly under the ring floodlight.

Will this affect its ambient light sensor (I.e. it will always think it’s day time?)

Furthermore, will it affect the camera?

1 Like

I am wondering the same thing. Not sure if we should mount 1 spotlight cam in the middle of the garage or 2 on each of the sides above the outdoor lights. Hope someone has the answer

Hi @Piggles. Yes, if there is a light right underneath the Floodlight Cam, it can confuse the light sensor. This could mean that the lights do not activate or that the night vision will be obscured. I suggest setting up a Light Schedule to have the lights on or off during a specific time. You can learn about Light Schedules here.

1 Like

@Tom_Ring Is there no way to disable the light sensor? My driveway light shines toward the street but I have the spotlight camera mounted in the corner to light up motion on the side of the house but the light sensor is preventing the light from coming on. Wish I would have known since it kind of defeats the purpose of the spotlight camera and I could have just used a stick up camera instead.

1 Like

Hi @user18848. If you have an additional light installed underneath your Spotlight Cam, this can impact the light sensor. There is no option to disable the light sensor on the Spotlight or Floodlight Cams, so you may want consider a different placement for your Spotlight Cam that will work better.