Wifi keeps dropping, Video Doorbell 3

Hi

My doorbell keeps not working. I get no notification that it is offline. I found out when people start pounding on the front door as there is no doorbell ringing.

I can fix the problem by pulling the battery out and then reconnecting the Doorbell to the wifi. It will work for a couple of weeks and then drop out again.

The doorbell is hardwired for power and shows excellent wifi signal quality, when it is connected. I have a high quality Mesh Wifi system that reaches my other Ring products without fail (2 other doorbells and a Ring Cam). They are all further away from the Wifi Router.

I think the Ring Doorbell has a fault of some kind as I can’t see any issue with the power supply (hard wired plus battery) or the wifi signal (excellent and stable for all other ring devices on the network).

Can Amazon/Ring just send me a new one?

Is it right that if my doorbell drops wifi then it will be unable to rejoin the wifi by itself? That seems odd. It rejoins wifi perfectly when I take the battery out. Pretty much any device I have can rejoin wifi if it looses connection. Surely a fault?

1 Like

Hi @andrewfd. If one or more of your Ring Devices are continually falling offline, the problem is almost always related to poor wifi connectivity caused by signal fluctuations, channel congestion, or data loss. In rare cases, however, this can be caused by settings in your router. Use this support article Here for guidance on what troubleshooting steps you can try. Let us know if this helps! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Justin

I have taken a look at the page you suggest. However, the Wifi signal is very strong and stable. You can see this from the Device Health page I shared at the top of this thread.

I agree that there might be occasional interference of congestion which might cause the Ring Doorbell to drop the connection.

The real issue is that the Doorbell is unable to re-establish a dropped Wifi connection on it’s own. I should not have to be pulling the plug on it. Almost any device I can think of can do this, even a cheap Chinese Wifi lightbulb. I have many devices on a very stable Mesh network working considerably further away from the router than the doorbell. I don’t want to change the settings of the whole network for one device to maybe work better and have every other device at risk of not working with new settings.

The secondary failure is that the Ring’s server and app do not tell me it has fallen off the network. So I only find out when someone is pounding on the door.

1 Like

I have set the router to reserve an IP address for the Ring Doorbell that is failing.

I have two other doorbells, a security camera and three chimes on the same wifi network. All of them work consistently and don’t fall of the wifi network. All of them are further away from the wifi router and have slightly weaker wifi strength on their Health Status.

Given that EVERY other device I have, Ring or not (about 28 devices according to the router), works perfectly ANYWHERE, it is difficult to accept that the Mesh wifi router is the issue.

I think this is a faulty Ring Doorbell that needs to be replaced.

1 Like

Hello @andrewfd. Since you have covered the steps in our Help Center article and this concern still persists, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support. They will be able to conduct a more in-depth look into your concern.

I did that and all they did was get me to reset the device until it worked again (which is exactly what I have been repeatedly doing). It worked and then stopped about a week later.

Since this call I have configured my Wifi router to inform me each time the Ring Doorbell drops and rejoins the Wifi network. It does this several times a day. No other Ring device on my network does this. I have also moved the Device to another location, swapping it with a Ring Doorbell that had perfect Wifi service for over a year. It now sits in the perfect Wifi location, tested by the other device, and still drops wifi frequently.

Can Ring please stop getting me to do the same trouble shooting protocols and just send me a replacement for this faulty unit?

Also, if I call the call centre, can they see this thread before asking me the same set of question all over again?

1 Like

Hi @andrewfd, happy to step in here. The Ring Community is a public forum, so we aren’t a direct line to support. We’re here to provide general troubleshooting tips and tricks and highlight our resources that are publicly available to help neighbors find resolutions to common concerns. If you need further assistance, our support team is available to help.

For other neighbors having concerns with their Video Doorbell 3 falling offline frequently, review the information regarding RSSI and wifi connectivity in our Help Center article here. Wifi concerns can be complex and there are various different factors to consider, so it may also be worth it to contact your internet service provider (ISP) to explore the settings on your router if you are not familiar with how to do so.

If your Video Doorbell 3 is still offline after checking the connection, try power cycling the Doorbell by disconnecting it from power for about 30 seconds and then reconnect it to the power. Then follow the steps to reconnect your Doorbell to wifi. If these resources and steps don’t resolve your concern, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

Not sure if you have the same problem but mine will drop off when people press the doorbell.

Hi @iluvmysh. This is what we call a “dead on ding”. You’ll need to contact our team to resolve this. Please send us a private message on Facebook @Ring or give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.