WiFi Jamming

It seems that it’s pretty easy to jam / over load the Wifi signal which seems to stop the cameras from recording.

Although my ring cam usuually picks up movement every few minutes the time that someone was in my car pulling the dashboard out none or my camera decteded any movement.

I can’t find anything on the community about how to combat wifi jamming. It’s pretty simple to do, cheap and seems to render the cameras inactive.

2 Likes

Hi, if you are referring to deliberate WiFi signal interference or jamming, there is no defence. All WiFi devices can be affected by interference. You can install a monitoring device like Fingbox that will tell you when a WiFi device goes ‘offline’ (dependent on how the device operates).

4 Likes

Sorry to read your car getting broken into. I know that feeling as it happened to me many years ago.

To answer your question can Wi-Fi signals be “jammed” per FCC code in the USA, its not permitted and its against the law. But we know the bad guys dont fallow the law and wont do it. The worse part is that the equipment to do it with isn’t expensive either. (If you know what to buy.) The only true way to “fight back” is to install wired cameras. Of course we wouldnt have made the investment in the Ring cameras if hard wiring was as simple as running a cable from point A to B. Unfortunately thats hardly ever the case.

2 Likes

Thanks for your time and help.
I was hoping that wasn’t the case. It’s difficult to see how Ring can be viable option anymore.
Regards
Spencer

2 Likes

The solution is POE cameras, which Ring does have. Rather than running a power cord to the camera, run ethernet, no wifi. I have many Ring POE cameras, they work well.

This is not a Ring issue, the issue is the same with any security camera. POE is always better, for any security application.

1 Like

Thaks Brad.

I didn’t realise that any cams came with PoE. Fine as a solution for me. I see the Stick Up Cams can do this. I think I just add another Cam rather than replace the Spotlight Cams to keep some lights.

Appreciated.

A lot of these type of attacks uses fake/forged disassociation and/or deauth management frames to cause devices to disconnect or lose connection to WiFi. 802.11w protects from these types of attacks. Enable “Protected Management Frames” or “Management Frame Protection” if you have that as a setting in your wireless router. It’s usually under advanced settings for wireless.

1 Like

Have been using a Fingbox since it was first released. It is a rock solid and effective tool.

2 Likes

I did some research on Fingbox and i was so impressed on the WiFi security and alerting that it offers that i just ordered one. Fingbox detects and alerts on WiFi jamming and WiFi deauthentication attacks. Looking forward to adding it to my home for protection.

1 Like

Just had experience w this. Neighbors was robbed, and my cam was scrambled from late night til early am.
I looed on events and my history the last 3 nights its been this way. I have it pulled to the street.
Now why and how are they doing this? Are they gonna hit again? Or my house?
Is anyone familiar w scrambled? How oftern can they be done and what can i do about it aka block it

Make sure “Protected Management Frame” is enabled and set to “required” if your wireless router has that as an option. If not, it might be time to upgrade.

Also, get a Fingbox. It was WiFi Intrusion which detects deauth flood attacks, WiFi jamming and will notify you of such events immediately

1 Like

I actually filed a complaint with the FCC. Seems it was futile. They acknowledged receipt but passed the buck to FTC, saying I needed to file complaint with
FTC.

Problebly the most easiest frequency to jam is the WiFi signal. You have channels and they are all within a bandwith. I am not going to explain what it is nor how to jam but if you have a spare tv remote your 90 percent there to jam EVERY WiFi channel. That is not the whole problem though, any portable WiFi device (and the Ring Doorbell is portable no matter how much you fix it to your property) is able to be not only jammed but electricaly drained if running on any cell battery type. again I will not demonstrate nor explain how because it defetes the object of security. The ONLY safe way is to have a proper professional alarm system that uses cameras or a professional fitted CCTV that has so many fail safes and new facial recognition that most convicitions are due to them since they are LEGALLY used in court. Stop buying toys and get the grown up stuff

1 Like

I believe someone is jamming my WiFi to disable my Ring cam. I purchased a Fingbox, but I’m not seeing the Ring cam show up on the list of detected devices on the Fing app. Ring camera is running fine & connected to the same WiFi. Thoughts?

Ring can actually combat WiFi jamming by adding local storage on the device and recording to local storage when the device is offline and then uploading to the cloud once the WiFi/Internet connection is restored.

1 Like

If I could reasonable run Ethernet I would be using WiFi. Isn’t there something we can do for our routers to not respond to this equipment?

After all this time and all the complaints, Ring has not acknowledged problem or proposed a real solution. This is either dereliction of duty or gross incompetence. Perhaps Bezos is too busy counting his billions. FCC should be investigating also.

How do you set the wireless router to the “Protected Management Frame?”

Khunter76 I’m researching this issue. I’d like to hear more about what happened.

I’m a journalist looking into this. Can you email me details please. . Thank you.