Why wont my doorbell pick people walking up my steps but will pick up a dog across the street?

Have had our Doorbell 2 for almost a year with no issues until couple weeks ago and it stopped picking up people that are in close proximity to the camera. I have not changed any settings and it picks up cars driving by fine and people walking across the street like 60 plus feet away buf if someone walks on my porch and is 2 feet from the doorbell it does not pick it up. I added a wedge to angle it down and no change. Either all the “latest” software upgrades screwed it up or it is hardware failure of the doorbells sensor. Very frustrating in the days we are currently living in when this is very important to know if someone has been on your porch.

2 Likes

Hey @Stan_412, could you try giving your Doorbell a reset to see if this improves the quality of the motion detection? For this, please press and hold the setup button for 30 seconds. After this time has passed, go into your Motion Settings for the device in the Ring app and reconfigure your settings via the Motion Wizard. Once these have been reset-up, please monitor your Doorbell’s activity from there and let me know how it goes! :slight_smile:

I was on phone with RING support for about hour rebooted system, phone, app, made adjustments to zones just about everything but still will not pick up someone walking up steps to my house and standing on porch 3 feet from camera. It does pick up every walking by at bottom of steps though. Very frustrating

@Stan_412 Thank you so much for getting back to me with that screenshot! It seems we may actually need to adjust the angle in order to help out with this, as you have a not so typical walk up to your Doorbell. Depending on if you have a Ring Video Doorbell or Ring Video Doorbell 2, you will want to look into getting a Wedge Kit, which you can find here. This will help point the Doorbell more down so that it can pick up the view of the porch/steps more easily, as it is located towards the bottom of your Doorbell and can have some limitations with that view. I recommend buying it from us at Ring.com or Amazon.com, as we both offer 30 day money back returns if you find that it does not help you out!

I actually just added a wedge kit last week after issue started. I even added double wedge and no charge. After talking at length with tech support they felt the single wedge was sufficient due to angle. And again this was perfectly fine until couple week ago since I installed this last year

1 Like

I am having an identical problem. Wedge not helping. My ring can actual see all of my steps leading up to the door and the Ring. So why is it Not picking up the person. Like the other person the Ring will often pick up a bus in the street passing by but cant seem to pick up a person that has to walk up about 13 steps that is in full view of the camera. I have made all the adjustments you can make using the motion wizard. Why is the camera not picking up a person standing right in front of it or approaching directly in front of it? It will pick up me from when I come out the front door to pick up a package and am in front of the camera but again not the Amazon person who walks straight up 13 stairs directly in front of the Ring camera

2 Likes

Last month or so My doorbell will not pick up people even a person standing directly in front yet will pickup every car in the street. Customer service sucks . I did everything they suggested and still the same . It also goes offline lately yet I have no WiFi issues or issue without anything else connected to it .

I am having the same problem, unless someone rings the doorbell they are not picked up (they were previously) and even then, only briefly, which means my property/ security is not being protected, this is really frustrating

Hi neighbors. If your motion detection is not working correctly, try the following steps to help:

We also have this Community post with other steps to try to better optimize your motion detection for your Doorbell. If you have tried these steps and are still having the same concern, give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here for further assistance. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.