White horizontal lines at night - any progress on a fix?

Ring - is there any fix coming soon for the white lines that appear at night on Ring Doorbells or any plans to replace defective devices? Ours no longer works, and as you can see by the included threads, this is not a WiFi or battery issue, nor is resetting the device repairing the issue. Calling tech support to spend 30 minutes to walk through these steps to be told to purchase a new doorbell is also not an acceptable fix.

My camera missed someone rummaging through a car last night. I’ve attached a few similar threads so we can also avoid idea that this is an isolated issue and also a screenshot of the video quality I get at night. !

Looking forward to your response!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ring/comments/fzjnmv/horizontal_scrolling_lines_on_ring_doorbell_2/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ring/comments/g9vqtr/night_time_horizontal_interference_on_the/

IMG_0385

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Community, @CMTSTL! This certainly should not be happening, and as you mentioned, some neighbors are reporting a similar concern. As the linked threads you shared describe multiple Doorbell models (Doorbell 2nd Gen, Doorbell 2, Doorbell Pro) it is always best to attempt some troubleshooting steps to rule out any common factors. Checking power variables for a Doorbell Pro, or removing and reinserting the battery on a Video Doorbell 2, could help with the lens and night vision powering properly.

Resetting the device, by holding the setup button for 20 seconds, is always a great step to resolving a night vision concern. If the above does not help, more in-depth solutions can be found with our support team. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

This will also help our support team to log each example individually and share with our teams here for further investigation. As we always value our Community neighbors’ feedback, I will also share this post with our teams here.

1 Like

I did the reset method as advised and it worked for me.

2 Likes

I had the same problem, and found when i went to replace my battery, up on the right hand side it looked like something spun a small web, when i cleaned it out i now have a clear picture

1 Like

All I did was replace my battery which was at around 20% and it resolved for me. I wonder if it has anything to do with peak power for the battery when they get older? I had the issues for a week or so before this point too so maybe from 30% this started happening.

Will see how I get on.

3 Likes

I have exactly the same issue and the video is essentially useless. Followed the reset instructions and this has not changed anything.
Any other advice?

1 Like

You have to turn OFF the HDR setting. I too had my new doorbell 4 swapped out and the black lines appeared. Changed to different wifi networks and the same thing. Even swapped out my battery. Same thing. I just turned off the HDR setting and the black lines are gone

2 Likes

Mine was not on, I’ll try to switch it on then back off again.

@Marley_Ring - telling us to phone Support is NOT a Solution - Support will tell us to buy a new doorbell. There are multiple threads on this - so please can you point us in the direction of a “proper” Solution.

2 Likes

This comment is spot on! I have rang so many times over the same problem and all they say is i need buy a new up to date doorbell :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
We all need a proper solution cause this same problem is annoying and disappointing

1 Like

I have the very same problem. Images uploaded here mirror what i am now getting on my doorbell. Ring need to deal with what is clearly an inherent fault or loyal customers will move to other companies, of which there are noe many options.

1 Like

Add another one to the list of owners that get the horizontal lines at night.

Paying monthly subs for this and it is pretty much useless.

1 Like

And another owner with horizontal white lines at night-mode only, video also skips. Strange that when viewing live in colour at night, no issues, only when it goes into infra-red recording mode (I assume that’s the black&white mode?) that the issue starts happening.
Forgot to say, I was told that the device (video doorbell 2) cannot be fixed, can only be replaced but as it is now out of warranty, I’d need to buy one, was given a voucher for 30% off.
Not happy though, I may call on the UK’s Consumer Protection Act (6 years)

1 Like

I’ve been having the same issue. The horizontal lines definitely have a connection to power. When I pushed up on the bottom of the camera the image returned to normal. Underneath the cover where you replace the battery I noticed the battery was slightly loose. Pushing it up about a cm made the image improve. Perhaps from years of use the battery is not making a solid connection. If this continues I might put something under the battery to keep it pressed all the way up.

Installed my brand new ring 4 yesterday,I have woken up to these white lines when motion was detected at night. Have we any fixes for this yet please? Or they can have it back as it renderes the unit poinless as-is. Thanks

1 Like

Just called after not getting around to it for a least a year or 2… same issues as all above, white lines, cant see anything. Tried resets and batt changes etc, nothing has worked (and based on this thread, not likely too neither). Called Ring who advised to buy another one and gave a 30% discount code but then still £112… seems a little off as it works perfectly during the day… Prob look elsewhere for alternative option(s)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.