Ring Video Doorbell

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Rings wired and battery doorbell.
J
What is the point of Hardwired power for Doorbell 3?
Hello. I recently installed a Ring Doorbell 3 and added a hardwired power supply. The app confirms power is now Hardwired. The question I have is that the battery was at 99% and it has still drained to 94% in a day. Is this normal? I am confused. Why is it discharging so when connected to an external power supply? I feel, I might as well not have bothered. These forums seem awash with issues regarding hardwiring the power but no one seems to explain what the issue is.

26-07-2020 07:43:56

Responses (1)

B
> @JemTheWire wrote: > > " . . . Ring Doorbell 3 and added a hardwired power supply. The app confirms power is now Hardwired. . . . the battery was at 99% and it has still drained to 94% in a day. Is this normal? I am confused. Why is it discharging so when connected to an external power supply?" Your Ring Doorbell is actually is a battery-run device. The hardwired transformer just trickle-charges the battery, but the battery is really what powers the Doorbell. You can confirm the battery is trickle-charging by looking at the upper-right corner of the Device page, where the Green Battery Icon is displayed with a lightning-bolt. The lightning-bolt should always be there, even when the battery reaches 100%. If it is not charging, the lightning-bolt will be missing. Most of the time you'll find the battery at in the high 90's to 100% range. But under heavy use (frequent Motion-Detections, Live Views, etc.), that percentage can drop until the transformer can catch up. So, at the end of a heavy-use day 94% is not unusual. The battery is just draining faster than the slow charge can replenish it. After the demand on the battery reduces, it should eventually return to 100% again. I hope this clarification helps you.

27-07-2020 03:48:02

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

D

Danielhrch

User
Solutions