WARNING: Sensor Firmware Issue: Check for Sensors Missing From Your System

This weekend while letting our dog out I noticed that I didn’t get a tone when opening our back sliding door. After some investigation I found that sensor was missing from my devices list and all alarm history for it was missing from the list . I contacted support and found that there is a known issue with the sensors disappearing from the system due to firmware not updating. Someone could have walked into our backdoor with the system armed and we wouldn’t have been the wiser. I have submitted a feature request for an email anytime a sensor is removed from the system.

1 Like

Hi @kojak30 , I completely understand your concern and see how this measure is important for your safety. There are certainly push notifications and email alerts available for when an Alarm device reports offline, but not for removal as this should only be possible by the owner through the app.

While you’ve already contacted support, we recommend reaching out to the team one more time so they can look deeper into this situation for you and ensure it does not happen again in the future.

“Should only be possible by the owner through the app”

This statement is exactly why I am so concerned. Somehow my account was altered without my knowledge. My Livingroom Left and Right windows were both named Livingroom Left window as well. It shouldn’t be possible to have two of the same name. Basically anytime anything is altered an email should be generated at least letting the owner know they should look into it but ideally have details telling what was changed.

1 Like

Your Alarm devices should always show in the Ring app under your designated location, whether or not they are online or offline. When a Contact Sensor falls offline or is unresponsive to a reset, please check the battery does not need to be changed.

Afterward, I recommend checking out our Help Center article for further tips on troubleshooting and resetting your Contact Sensor.

As the original neighbor had a concern with changes to a Contact Sensor, here is also our Help Center article on Alarm Users and Roles, so that way you can verify how your account is set up when you have an Alarm and know if you can make changes. It is always important to check through multiple locations if you have them as well, to ensure you’re viewing the correct location to see a specific device.

If this concern persists despite trying these steps and you keep having a certain device disappear from your device list, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.