Video Recording Length - Help please

I have a video doorbell wired. Under video settings, I selected the length of recording to be 120 seconds. Anytime there has been motion detected, the doorbell camera records video for exactly 120 seconds. Recently this has changed and now it only records motion for random periods of time - sometimes 10 seconds, sometimes 20, sometimes 30, but never 120 seconds. I believe this has to do with Ring rolling out a new option to allow the cameras to record for an “automatic” period of time…so it will record until it detects no more motion. This is a new option under video settings that allows us to select auto rather than a set time for video recording length. I have gone into my settings and made sure it is still showing 120 seconds for recording length, however, the doorbell still does not adhere to this selection - it continues to only record until motion stops. Can anyone help me to fix this please?

1 Like

@Caitlyn_Ring The same thing happened to me as I have seen on other postings. Randomly, Ring decided apparently they were going to not only push out the “auto” option for video recording time, but also change peoples’ settings to this “auto” option. I noticed that my video recordings were now only 10 or 15 or 20 seconds - rather than the 120 seconds I originally set. Then I figured out that Ring had changed my video settings on all my cameras to auto record (which makes the recording shut off when there is no more motion detected) as opposed to the 120 seconds I set it to. You are changing our settings without even notifying us? This is a security issue. What if I was robbed and my recording didn’t sufficiently capture what I needed because Ring decided to change my setting without my permission or knowledge? @Caitlyn_Ring care to respond to this?

1 Like

@Tom_Ring @Justin_Ring Can someone please help here?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Last Health Check was…. 1969?

Yeah - I am extremely disappointed in Rings customer service. I should be able to get basic questions answered.

@Tom_Ring Thank you for replying. I was able to go into most of my cameras settings and change it back to the video recording length I intended after Ring changed my settings to auto for all. However, my ring doorbell wired doesnt even have an option for auto, and it still shows video recording length of 120 seconds, however all of my recordings on the doorbell are “auto” - shutting off as soon as motion is no longer detected. I cant even change this back because it still shows as 120 seconds and there is not even an option for auto showing. This is very frustrating. Can you please help?

Hi @user44266. At this time, the Auto Video Recording Length feature is not available for the Video Doorbell Wired. Currently, this feature is available on the below eligible Ring devices with a Ring Protect Basic, Plus, or Pro subscription:

• Ring Video Doorbell Elite
  • Ring Video Doorbell Pro
  • Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2
  • Ring Stickup Cam Wired and Elite
  • Ring Indoor Cam
  • Ring Floodlight Cam
  • Ring Floodlight Cam Pro Wired
  • Ring Spotlight Cam Wired
  • Ring Spotlight Cam Plus Wired
  • Ring Spotlight Cam Pro Wired

Please try rebooting your Doorbell Wired using the reboot option on the Device Health screen. Then review the Video Recording Length and ensure it is set to your liking. If this concern still persists after that, I’d recommend following up with our support team for further assistance. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

@Caitlyn_Ring Thank you for responding. You are saying the "auto video recording length feature is not available for the ring doorbell wired. I see it’s not available to select as an option in the app. The issue is that it IS performing the video recordings per the auto feature even though its not even available as an option. I have it set for 120 seconds and the video recording stops as soon as motion stops. During Rings latest app update all of my other cameras settings changed to auto but at least I could switch them back. Can you explain why my ring doorbell wired is using the auto feature when supposedly its not even available? Also why did Ring switch my other cameras settings to auto, whereby I had to notice this and switch them back? What is the solution to change the ring doorbell wired back to 120 s video rec length? Reboot under device health?

@Caitlyn_Ring And I tried the reboot which did nothing to resolve the issue.

Hi @user44266. As Caitlyn and I have mentioned, the Ring Doorbell Wired does not have this feature. I would confirm that you have a Ring Doorbell Wired in your Device Health menu in the Ring app. If you have a Doorbell Wired, and you are still having this problem, Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

Unfortunately, once Ring pushed out this new auto feature, it caused my Ring Doorbell Wired to lock into this auto setting even though it’s not even shown as an option to select. I double checked that I do in fact have a Ring Doorbell Wired. I’ll try to call support but I am not optimistic this will be resolved.

user44266 -

Ring has been aware of various Video Recording Length problems (as well as other serious problems that began at the same time) for MONTHS.

Obviously, if Ring cared about the safety/security of customers (and their property), Ring would have ensured that ALL of the problems that were reported in March of 2023 were fixed at that time. Instead, Ring customers are still dealing with the same serious problems months later.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.