Video quality with floodlight camera

I’ve downloaded a video from floodlight camera. The video is:

1920x1080 frame size, however the frame rate is only 15 frames/second.

This makes it very hard to capture face of a person in the video. Is there a way to adjust FPS settings for the camera or 15FPS is as high as it can go. I googled for this information but found conflicting data: some sites say 15fps is max while others quoted 30fps.

Is there a way to achieve 30 fps on this camera?

My internet is 275mbps down / 10 mbps up.

Wifi signal strength is RSSI -47 (I am using chime pro)

1 Like

Any official reply?

Hey @rfisgoat! At this time there is not a way to adjust video resolution. Our Floodlight Cams are capable of 1080p video depending on the efficiency of wifi connection. With your speeds and RSSI, it looks like signal strength is optimal for a great video quality. improving signal strength, minimizing distance from router, and even altering router settings can lead to a better video experience. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Thank you for the reply. Could you comment on the FPS part of video recordings? What is official supported FPS for ring floodlight camera? Is 15 FPS maximum rating?

Hi Marley, I have the same issue. These camera does not seem like it is doing 1080p or 30 fps. I have the “WIRED” version. So no RSSI issues. How can we adjust this for a wired device? We should not follow the same rules you have for a wired vs wireless as I understand why wireless might have to get adjusted due to the connection rate/distance and therefore less throughput can get through. WIRED cams should not have this limitation. Are there any plans to allow the user to adjust this or change so wired versions can be precisely 1080P and not adjust by RING?

Thx!

1 Like

Hi @deequan. Are you referring to a Stick Up Cam Elite? To build upon what Marley mentioned, the video quality is not user adjustable. This is dependant on the RSSI and your connection speeds. Perhaps it would be best if you could upload or share a video? When attaching this video, you will need to compress the MP4 file into a ZIP file, as ZIP files can be attached to your reply and not MP4s. In addition, you can upload this video elsewhere, such as YouTube, and then share the link to the video in your reply. Alternatively, if the video is saved in the Event History in your Ring App, you can choose to share it via email and copy the link that is generated.

I have a Ring floodlight security camera. My internet is 1Gbps with mesh Wifi6 throughout the house. RSSI: -39.

My camera is only recording in 1080 resolution and 15 fps only. The low frame rate is the biggest problem as it is practically impossible to capture moving object or person clearly with low frame rate.

I’ve attached video file parameters as a proof.

Can Ring team please give a clear answer: does Ring flood light camera support 30 fps? And if yes how can one achieve that?

1 Like

Hi @rfisgoat. Allow me to set the record straight. The Floodlight Cam is only capable of 15 FPS, 1080 HD resolution. I’ve confirmed this with my teams here, so this is accurate information. Sorry for any conflicting information you may have read and also for the delay in my response, but I wanted to make sure I was giving you correct information. I hope this answers your question.

2 Likes

When I watch the ring video recordings (either in the App or download to my phone), the video quality is not that good. I checked the video format, it is 1080. Even though it is 1080p, I think the compressing rate is so high. As a result, the video quality is not what we are familiar with in most 1080p videos, such as Youtube.

I opened one of the recordings, the data rate is 824kbps and FPS is 15, which is quite low. If so the advertised 1080p is useless in terms of the video quality.

Btw, My devices are Doorbell 2 and Spotlight cam battery. Both devices have the video quality issue.

I checked the App, but I can’t find any settings that can improve the video quality.

2 Likes

720p video with 30fps is much more useful than 1080p with 15fps. You often need to pause recording to take a screenshot with a face of perpetrator. With low frame rate your chances of catching required frame are very low.

It would be great to be able to pick lower resolution in favor of high frame rate.

1 Like