Video Doorbell Wired 24vDC

I’ve a transformer in my mains board supplying 24vDC. After connecting the Video Doorbell Wired, I saw nothing was happening. Hence, thinking that maybe the transformer was not supplying enough current, I went ahead and hooked up my lab bench power supply (DC again) and set it on 24V.

As you can see in the picture, the doorbell gets 24VDC which according to the back of the doorbell (and various sources) is ok and the power supply is set in constant voltage mode (the current limiter was progressively bumped up). But as you can see the doorbell remains quiet and doesn’t consume any current.

I called in and got a replacement as the agent said the unit might be faulty.

So today I got a replacement and it’s the exact same story. The only difference is that this time I heard some kind of a clic when hooking up the power supply.

To eliminate the power supply from the equation I hooked up a voltmeter to confirm the reading. Which it does.

Only explanation I have is that the unit actually doesn’t support 24VDC (which goes in opposition with the safety label on the back).

Hi, Did you manage to get anywhere with this. I’m planning on hardwiring my ring doorbell into my electric gate control board which provides an output of 24Vdc at 0.5A max for accessories. As you mentioned the sticker on the doorbell implies that this would work perfectly. Just wondering if you got to the bottom of this or whether I need to consider other options.
Thanks!

Hi neighbors! On the product page for the Doorbell Wired, in the Tech specs section, only the official Ring Plug-In Adapter 2nd Generation should be used for DC power. This refers to the power that would come out of a wall outlet. In the case of using a transformer, the following specs of 8-24 VAC, 40VA max, 50/60Hz should be met. You will not be able to use a DC transformer. If you wish to use a transformer, this Ring Transformer here will meet the power requirements. I hope this clears up the confusion. :slightly_smiling_face:

How is the Ring Plug-In Adapter 2nd Generation any different than any other 24V+ DC power supply? If you look at the label on the back of your adapter, it has 24+VDC, 0.5A, 12W power output. This description is identical to hundreds of other basic DC power supplies.

Also unclear what you mean by “This refers to the power that would come out of a wall outlet.”

24VDC+ would not come out of a wall outlet in any location I am aware of. This unfortunately makes the issue a lot more confusing.

1 Like