Video Doorbell Pro has stopped activating mechanical in-home doorbell

Hello, I have a Ring Video Doorbell Pro that was installed about 7 months ago. Recently, in about the last month, it has stopped activating our in-home mechanical chime. Thinking it was something wrong with the wiring, transformer or chime itself, we had an electrician come to service. Turns out everything non-ring is fine, and the problem is with the Video Doorbell Pro itself. Electrician verified all working by contacting the two wires that complete the chime circuit at the Doorbell Pro and the chime works. I have verified the Doorbell Pro is up to date on firmware, and the Doorbell Chime Type is set to mechanical and turned on in the settings, as it always has been. Any suggestions?

Hi @Richard.S. It’s possible that the chime kit you have may not be fully compatible with the Doorbell Pro. You can find a chime kit compatibility list in our Help Center Article here so you can check it with your chime kit’s make and model. If it is not one of the listed compatible mechanical or digital chimes, you may want to look into replacing it. If it is, I’d suggest reaching out to our support team so they can take a closer look for you. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

The chime is a basic home mechanical chime: open circuit, no chime; closed circuit, chime. I have a hard time believing there can be compatibility issues with something that has the complexity of a first-grade science project.

Regardless, the doorbell has randomly begun ringing the chime again today. I came back here to see there was a new update or something was done from Ring’s end that could have accounted for the fix.

Hi there, @Richard.S! I wanted to provide the link to our Chime Compatibility List, so you can see if the model you are using is compatible. Additionally, ensure the proper chime type is selected in your Ring app. When viewing your Doorbell Pro page in the Ring app, tap the Device Settings tile, then choose General Settings. There you will see the chime type option. If this does not improve chime kit operation, there is also the option to bypass the chime kit and add one of our Ring Chimes. :slight_smile: