Video Doorbell Operating Problems

Hello, I am frustrated with my Video Doorbell. It is a Video Doorbell (2nd Gen). This doorbell is wired to Heath / Zenith Westminster Door Chime which is an electronic chime. This setup worked well for a while and then it the middle of the night the doorbell would ring and not stop. The only way to stop this behavior was to press the doorbell button (the white ring turned partially blue and raced around) and then the ringing stopped. However, in a few cases, the doorbell began the unending ring cycle later that night. One night about a month ago, the unending ring cycle began and when the doorbell button was pushed the unending ring cycle stopped, however, the next day we observed that you had to push the doorbell button twice to get the electronic chime to ring.

We have tried pushing the orange button on the back of the doorbell and going through the set up found in the app but nothing works and now pushing the doorbell button does nothing except play the three tone series.

I really would like to get this fixed so it works all of the time.

So far I find the help on the app does not have anything to help resolve this issue.

How can this be fixed?

Thank you

Hi @PeggyB. First, you’ll need to check if your specific model chime kit is compatible. You can find that information here. Once you’ve verified that information, open the Ring app to your Device Settings menu, then select General Settings to ensure that you’ve selected Digital Chime Kit. This should correct your issue.

Hello,

Sorry for the long delay but we have had other issues to deal with. Our chime is listed in your approved list.

This is very frustrating since the doorbell rings in the middle of the night with nothing at the door as verified by the video. I have checked the wiring and everything is perfect. However, for some reason the chime will not ring unless you push the doorbell button twice.

I think you should either redesign the Doorbell to include a set of wire contacts that I can wire to my chime. An alternative is for you to provide a 24v relay driven by the Doorbell to activate the chime.

This device works well as a video camera but the doorbell feature is very poor with these issues.

Hi @PeggyB. Did you verify the correct chime type is listed under Device Settings > In-home Chime Settings > Advanced Settings > Chime Type? It’s important for this to be set to Digital if your chime kit is digital, or Mechanical if your chime kit is mechanical.

Additionally, you mention that you have to press the doorbell button twice to get the chime kit to ring. This indicates a power issue of some sort, or there being a problem with the doorbell button itself. If the issue persists after checking the chime setting as described above, I’d recommend reaching out to our support team for further assistance.