Video doorbell keeps chiming after power outage

I live in an area prone to power outages, and when the power comes back on the doorbell makes a brief chime until it reconnects. If the internet is also out, the doorbell will chime indefinitely which is extremely annoying to myself and my neighbors. Is there a way to silence the doorbell without connecting it to wifi?

1 Like

Hi @Stoverock. Is this noise coming from your internal chime kit in the house, a Ring Chime or from the Doorbell? Also, what model Doorbell do you have and is it hardwired? These questions will give the Community a better idea of what might be happening. There are a few variables, so being able to see the full picture will definitely help.

1 Like

I am having the same problem. Newly installed hard wired Ring which was working fine. But then I had a wire at the transformer get inadvertently disconnected. When I hooked up the wire again, the Ring started the irritating chime sound with a clicking sound too, and blue light is flashing.

HI @Mark_Customer. Can you please let us know which model of Ring Doorbell you have? You can find the name of which Doorbell you have on the original packaging or on the Device Health page in the Ring app. Is the chiming noise you’re hearing coming from the Ring Doorbell, your transformer, or your internal chime kit? With more information, I can provide some general troubleshooting tips that may help.

My Ring is “Doorbell Wired” SKU 8 40080 55702 1

The chiming noise was coming from the Ring doorbell.

There’s apparently a major design flaw of the “Doorbell Wired”’in that if one looses power to the device, and power comes back on, the doorbell cannot reconnect itself to the network by itself. It even has to be opened up and manually reset. Unfortunately it also starts making audible messages and the blue light flashes, so one’s neighbors would be irritated hearing the message repeat over and over.

So, if someone were away, and the alternating current power to the home and thus the transformer goes out and later comes back on, the Ring will be making the audible messages. Then literally someone has to get the special screw driver, remove the case, and either have the app and network password to reset the Ring or I suppose unscrew the ring itself and disconnect the wires until the homeowner comes home.

If the homeowner is away and doesn’t have someone able to do all the resetting, it can create quite a dilemma. And we do lose power in our neighborhood so this is a real scenario.

And I assume we don’t want the WiFi password in the Ring so the Ring can reconnect itself to WiFi once power comes back because then cyber criminals can steal the Ring and get the password.

@Mark_Customer Your Ring Doorbell will automatically try to reconnect to wifi after a temporary power outage or wifi outage. It may not always automatically reconnect, especially depending on your Doorbell’s RSSI and the strength of the wifi connection. You can read more about RSSI in our Community Post here. Were you able to get your Doorbell reconnected and did this resolve the noise that you were hearing?

If you’re still hearing any type of chiming noise from the Doorbell itself, please follow up with our support team at one of the numbers available here so they can take a closer look. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

Catlyn - I was able to reconnect by being near the device, removing the cover, hitting the reset button, and reconnecting. However not the situation one wants if one is away and power goes off.