Video Doorbell 3 power problem

I recently installed a Doorbell 3. I hardwired it to the existing system. I have a 24v transformer, which shows 21.8v at the Doorbell. And I have an existing Nutone Scovill mechanical chime, which is listed under compatible devices. I also added a Ring Chime.

After connecting the wiring to the Doorbell 3, I get a reading of less than 2v at the contacts on the back, and the app tells me it’s not hardwired. Additionally, the plunger on the mechanical chime is retracted and the chime is buzzing. The firmware is updated and I’ve tried updating the settings in the app.

I’ve tried disconnecting the mechanical chime, but that doesn’t change anything with the voltage at the Doorbell. Is there a solution to this problem, or do I need to replace the Video Doorbell 3?

Hi there, @BumbleNugz! The transformer rating is certainly sufficient for charging, and a compatible chime kit should not be buzzing. The best next step will be to check your in home chime type setting for your Video Doorbell in the Ring app. Setting this to mechanical will ensure it is operating as intended for that chime. Please also ensure the wires are not too thin, frayed, or corroded, as this could cause resistance in voltage.

If this concern persists, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I’ve tried calling support. I’ve been disconnected three times. And they keep telling me to check all of the settings, which I have done numerous times. The voltage at the Doorbell is sufficient when not connected. As soon as I make the connections, it drops to less than 3V, as if there’s too much resistance in the unit. Do I just need a new Doorbell?

Hi @BumbleNugz. Happy to step in for Marley here. I know you said your transformer is 24V, but how many VA is it? If you’ve disconnected it from the mechanical chime kit, be sure you are using a wirewound resistor in its place. If your chime kit is still connected, try selecting “None” in the Ring app to see if that changes it’s performance. If your transformer has at least 10 VA, I would follow up with your open support ticket for the next best steps. Best of luck!