Video Doorbell 2nd gen showing as hardwired with solar panel but not charging

Hi,

I have had a solar panel charger for a week or two now and wanted to give it a while to confirm the behaviour before posting. When the panel has enough charge it is showing as hardwired which I understand as it’s connected to the hardware terminals, but unlike other posts I’ve seen it is not charging the battery at all so the battery charge is gradually decreasing.

It uses a micro USB port not C as the doorbell was bought a couple of years ago, but why is the battery not charging as it’s obviously picking up the solar panel connection? Is the unit faulty as it charges fine via a USB cable?

Hi @rpmiles81. What is the current battery level? How many hours of sunlight per day is your Solar Panel getting? How many Motion Events/Live Views are you activating per day? How much battery level drops over the course of 7 days? These questions will give us better insight into what is happening. Thank you, neighbor.

A post was split to a new topic: Spotlight Cam Battery solar not charging

I have the exact same issue. Solar panel has been connected for three days.

1. What is the current battery level? 27%

2. How many hours of sunlight per day is your Solar Panel getting? plenty. Our house is powered by 46 solar panels, and the panel is set at the same direction.

3. How many Motion Events/Live Views are you activating per day? 5-7

4. How much battery level drops over the course of 7 days? not sure but when we attached it it was at 28% and now it’s at 27%.

We also tried attaching the doorbell to a charger, and it never charged either.

The previous charger and the solar charger both show Hardwired in the app.

Hi @user61500. For this concern, I would suggest reaching out to our support team as this doesn’t sound like it’s functioning as it should. Please follow up with our support team. You can also get in touch by sending a private message @Ring on Facebook or Twitter.