Video Doorbell 2 wont charge

I have had a Ring Video Doorbell 2 for a little over a year. It is hardwired and has been working fine until few months ago it stopped charging. I would have to remove the battery and plug it into a USB charger. I ended up having to buy a 2nd battery so I could rotate them out but I have run out of patience for that. The doorbell is cleanly wired and has clean spade connectors that screw onto the doorbell. I have adjusted those multiple times to no effect.

Hi there, @Sansom! Even when hardwired, our battery powered Video Doorbells operate primarily off battery power, and then applies a charge from wiring thereafter. For this reason, when your battery get’s low, we recommend charging it fully via the provided micro usb, to ensure that your power is optimal for continued operation. While hardwiring will provide a charge, there are many factors that can impact how much of this charge is effective.

Too many motion events, frequent or lengthy live views, poor wifi signal strength, and even cold temperatures, can drain battery quicker than a charge can be effective. Having a back up battery is a great call, as we see many neighbors do this. Feel free to also check out our Community post about battery drain for more tips. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Wait, what??? I’ve been having battery drain issues too…and you’re telling me that hard-wiring it in doesn’t keep it charged?? What kind of nonsense is that??? Electricity is electricity…why does it mater if it’s coming through the wiring or a USB?? I shouldn’t have to take apart my doorbell camera every 5-7 days (the rate mine’s draining at now) to charge the stupid thing! Also, it’s only recently become a problem, but wasn’t before (or not as bad anyway), so explain that! And no, I haven’t changed settings that would drain the battery faster…come on Ring! You guys need o be a HELL of a lot more transparent about your products and what they’re REALLY capable of!!

2 Likes

As I said. It’s never had this problem before. And the Ring Doorbell Pro can have weak wifi, cold temps and lots of motion and it doesn’t even have a battery.

I have the same issue.
My battery has always been on 90 - 100%.
My Video Doorbell 2 is hardwired an have never had any issue by battery drain.
From since 4 weeks ago i have seen battery gone rapid from 100 down to 5% in about two weeks.
Its frustrating to have to take out the battery each second week for charging by USB.
And in that charging period i do not have a Doorbell functioning.

Hello there. I am pretty sure ring software update removed charging from hardware, so they can sell their solar charger product. It removed direct connected option from menu and added buy solar charger instead. We need call tech and complain about consumer rights, hopefully they release update and fix the issues. It’s I intentional by their side.

The solar charger for the doorbells stuck. They are only 0.35 v or something like that. I had one and it wasn’t good as you need direct sunlight for many hours to do anything.