Video Doorbell (1st gen) light is steady blue

My Ring Doorbell 1st gen is hardwired to recharge the internal battery and has worked for years but last week the video changed from color to B&W, the light is now a steady, unblinking blue, and the orange button held for 30 seconds doesn’t reset anything. Live view no longer works and the doorbell hasn’t recorded anything since 3/1/21.

What can I do to fix this?

Hi @DigitalDave. Since you’ve already tried a reset on your Doorbell and it’s still not working properly, I’d recommend reaching out to our support team so they can take a deeper look and offer more in-depth troubleshooting. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

Ring support answered in less than a minute and connected me to someone who knew what they were doing. They advised to remove the Ring Doorbell (gen 1 - which has a built-in battery) , then hold a screwdriver across the top 4 tines on the back for a few seconds to short it out. This turned off the blue ring of lights and allowed me to re-setup the doorbell. It now is back to working normally.

1 Like