Video Compression

Hi,
Has anyone noticed that the video live view and recording quality have deteriorated since circa 17th June 22? Seems as if the videos have excessive compression that deteriorates further when there is movement (E.g. a person). Two static image examples provided from the 16th June and today.

I’ve not had any hardware (modem, mesh router) changes. Using Ring App iOS v5.51.0. One example is via a Ring Video Doorbell Pro connected to a Chime Pro Network (RSSI -49 to the router and also RSSI -49 to the Doorbell Pro). The other example is a Ring Stick Up Cam Elite 2nd Generation connected with an Ethernet cable.

Thanks.

Hi @InsiderMINI. I suggest rebooting your router. Sometimes internet speeds and connection strength can deteriorate over time if your router is not rebooted frequently. Let me know if this helps!

Hi,
Tried your suggestion of rebooting the router, but unfortunately there is no improvement.

Hi @InsiderMINI. Bummer! You can also try switching your WiFi channel that your device is located on, and ensure that you are using the correct ports and protocols. Sometimes, there can be too many devices connected to a specific channel, causing congestion and ultimately a degradation in video quality. You can learn about changing you channels here, and your ports and protocols here.

As a final test, you can connect this doorbell to a WiFi hotspot to see if that gives you a better video. This will let you know if this is network related, or device related. Let me know if this yields improvement!

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, however this would not affect the

Hi @InsiderMINI. Did this work for your Doorbell?

Hi,
Since I installed the ring pro 2 it has experienced pixelating issues, generally the video quality is good but occasionally when someone approaches pixelation occurs not throughout the whole picture but in certain areas. RSSI is -46. Upload speed is 9mb and download is 36mb running on a 2.4ghz network, no issues with any other devices. Have tried hard reset along with uninstall and reinstall ring app, have also reset the router. Even tried bringing the doorbell inside and powered it off another ring adapter right next to the router with RSSI of -33 and even then the exact same issue occurs. Other than this issue the ring Pro 2 works seamlessly so far, with instant notifications and live view access etc. Did you find a resolution to your issue? I have also tried WiFi channel 1, 6 and 11.

Hi neighbors. When it comes to the video quality of your Ring Doorbell or Camera, the best place to start with troubleshooting is our Help Center article here. That article will cover the different situations you may encounter when it comes to video quality as well as what troubleshooting steps you can take to resolve your concern. It’s also important to keep in mind that variation in video quality could be due to Adaptive Video Play, a feature of your Ring app that prioritizes getting video in front of you as quickly as possible, occasionally at the expense of quality.

I hope you find these resources helpful. If you have a persistent concern with video quality from your Ring devices and you aren’t able to narrow down what the cause is after reviewing the information I shared, please follow up with our support team at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.