Using the Ring plug in adapter & Ring wirewound resistor with 2nd Gen Doorbell

Using the Ring plug in adapter & Ring wirewound resistor with 2nd Gen Doorbell

The Ring video doorbell 2nd Generation states:
"The wiring must be connected to a transformer with a voltage
of 8VAC – 24VAC (50 or 60 Hz, 40VA max output) and an
internal doorbell or resistor."

On Ring’s website I see what seems like a suitable adapter and resistor, but the adapter says:
“Only works with Video Doorbell Pro”
even though the spec seems correct.

So my question is, will the Ring plug in adapter & Ring wirewound resistor power a 2nd Gen Doorbell?

https://eu.ring.com/products/plug-in-adapter-for-ring-video-doorbell-pro?variant=27964127346711

https://eu.ring.com/products/wirewound-resistor-for-video-doorbells?variant=31614938972183

Thank you,

Michael.

Hi @michael1234. You definitely can! While we do not have an official support article on this, you can learn more about what this looks like from this example here. If you’re still unsure how to do the wiring, we reconnect contacting a local electrician!

1 Like

Thank you Chelsea.

1 Like

Information on the Ring website states that you don’t need a resistor when hard wiring a 2nd Gen Doorbell:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360045514872-The-difference-between-the-Ring-Video-Doorbell-1st-generation-and-Ring-Video-Doorbell-2nd-generation-

1 Like

But look at the description of the resistors application in the Ring store:

https://store.ring.com/products/wirewound-resistor?

Just adding to the confusion…

Hey neighbors! I’d be happy to clarify further on the Doorbell verbiage in this thread. Rather than the Video Doorbell (2nd Gen) mentioned in this Help Center Article, this thread is discussing the ‘Video Doorbell 2’.

The Video Doorbell 2 was the model prior to the Video Doorbell 3 and Video Doorbell 3 plus, whereas the ‘Video Doorbell (2nd Gen)’ is the new and improved version of the original Video Doorbell Classic model.

At Ring, we are always inventing on behalf of the customer and continue to build upon the devices our users know and love. That’s why we’re excited to bring users Ring Video Doorbell 3 and 3 Plus, and the next generations of Ring Video Doorbells, which brings our customers enhanced security features. Of course, we will continue to support Ring Video Doorbell 2. Our Doorbell Comparison Guide should always have the current models listed, but may not always include older models, despite our continued support of them. I hope this clears things up! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Marley, your link Help Center Article is exactly what I was looking for as it clearly states: “No, resistor not needed when hardwiring” for the Ring 2nd Generation Doorbell and “8-24 VAC (40VA max) and 50/60Hz” matches the Plug-In Adapter in the Ring Shop.

Can you confirm if the Plug-In Adapter comes with a 3-pin plug when shipped to Ireland as the description only states European outlet and shows a 2-pin plug?

1 Like

Good question, @michael1234! After looking over each Plug-in Adapter accessory page for all regions, including EU, it looks like this will come with the two pins. This is described to fit standard EU outlets, but if it does not fit yours, please also check out our article with more information about delivery.

If this device is rated for and delivered to your region, it should work. We advise consulting with a licensed electrician in the event you need to replace an outlet, or install a new power supply.

The help centre article for the 2nd generation Ring video doorbell (see link below) says: “ resistor not needed when hardwiring"

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360045514872-The-difference-between-the-Ring-Video-Doorbell-1st-generation-and-Ring-Video-Doorbell-2nd-generation-

However the instruction manual for the 2nd generation Ring video doorbell says at the bottom right on page 13

“If wiring directly to a doorbell transformer, connect a 25 ohm, 50W wirewound resistor in series with one of the doorbell wires to protect your Video Doorbell.”

So which is correct? Does the 2nd generation Ring video doorbell need a resistor when hardwired, or not?

Hi Petery,

Unfortunately I can not answer your question as there may be a slight but important difference wiring the 2nd Generation Doorbell to a doorbell transformer.

However I can confirm that my 2nd Generation Doorbell is wired directly to the Ring plug in adapter, i.e. without the resistor and it maintains a charge in a relatively busy doorway.

One thing I will say is be careful when wiring the 2nd Generation Doorbell to leave enough wire loose so that removing the doorbell is easy as an issue I have had from day one (long before wiring the doorbell) is the Ring Doorbell disconnecting from the WiFi router which always results in having to disconnect the Ring Doorbell in order to press the orange button on the back of the doorbell to reconnect to the router. There is no issue with my router or where the doorbell is, this is simply a flaw with the Ring Doorbell. Hearing their Ring Doorbell say “Rome wasn’t built in a day” must make all the Ring customers want to throw their doorbell in the bin.

If you are reading this ‘Ring’, when the Ring Doorbell works it is great and the people I dealt with on your support are very nice and try to be helpful, but the lack of ability for the doorbell to automatically reconnect to the router is a very serious product flaw, so much so that I refuse to take the risk buying the Ring cameras which I would love to do.

Just to note that I am very familiar with large distributed software systems and networking, please Ring, provide an update to automatically reconnect.

Michael.