Upgraded and Plan not working?

Hi,
I have just upgraded from the Ring Doorbell Gen 1 to a Ring Doorbell Pro and the Ring App is telling me that my Ring Video Recording has expired…is this because my Ring Video Doorbell Pro had a previous owner ?, as I got it from a friend.

Its asking me to subscribe again, even though I have a monthly plan in place. Do I have to stop my plan from the Gen 1 doorbell and take out a new plan with the Pro ? I dont want to be paying this twice !!

I have removed my old Ring Doorbell from the app and account and reset it.

Any advice please ?

1 Like

When receiving a Video Doorbell, the first step is to set it up in the Ring app. This is best done using your own Ring account and ensuring the Ring device is added to your location/ address, as this is how your Ring Protect Plan subscription is applied.

Feel free to login at Ring.com and view your plans there to manage covered devices.

For further assistance, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

Having the same issue. Except I have a brand new ring device, bought a plan after the trial ended and it’s still not updated or saving my videos, everything that was saved is gone. This does not give me much confidence in ring security. You guys can’t even get subsections right, you just straight up delete our videos with zero grace period, hand out our data to whom ever you feel like by default, bug me with constant motion alerts, essentially strong arming me into the plan I am not getting use of because you can’t seem to get my account and app linked up and on and on. Why did I sign up for ring or buy your devices in the first place when you aren’t looking out for me…? Ring is starting to seem more like mafia protection, which isn’t a good thing!

1 Like

Hi @Ryan7777. Videos are only saved while there is an active Ring Protect Plan. While there is no grace period, many attempts are made to let you know that your trial/active plan is ending soon. This is done via in app notifications and emails. One of the benefits of a Ring Protect Plan is Smart Alerts, which can reduce the amount of unwanted notifications. You can learn more about the Ring Protect Plan here.

Did your issue ever get solved. I have the same problem. I tried talking by phone but you can’t understand their variety of English.

Tom, That is the kind of answer I have gotten from every person I have communicated with at Ring. Don’t refer us to yet another canned statEment. How do we solve our problems. For the record let me restate. My 30 days expired on 1/5. At first I didn’t see the notifications about Ring Protect. By 1/7 I had subscribed for the one year program fee. As yet my Ring Video door Bell still does not provide notifications or alarms as it did before the initial 30 day period expired. I can only see live views. It would seem to me that a system that shut me down right on schedule on 12/5 should be able to turn me back on as soon as it saw I have subscribed to Ring Protect. Of course all others I communicated with told me go to my doorbell and we would see if it works. Of course I purchased it so I could maintain security profile while I am away for the winter. I am now 1100 miles from my door bell, so I can’t be there. Of course I was 1100 miles away when you shut it off too. Please help. This problem seems to be an easy fix for Ring.

Hi @user32964. I’m happy to chime in. If you are not receiving notifications from your Ring device, try the following steps:

We also have this Community page on other steps to try when notifications are not working as they should. If you have tried these steps and are still having the same concern, you will have to continue to work with our support team to further investigate and assist. Some troubleshooting steps may require that you be at the same location as your Ring device.