Ring Video Doorbell

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Rings wired and battery doorbell.
A
Unable to view certain motion detection alerts
battery-video-doorbell
troubleshooting
Hi All, So I have ran into a slight issue but am not sure exactly how to resolve it or event if it is an issue, but rather a feature? I have a Ring Doorbell 4 which seems to detect quite a lot of motion - no issue, i prefer it that way. However, i have noticed that when looking through my event timeline on either the mobile app or the desktop verison, there are some motion alerts that i am unable to view? On the app nothing happens when I tap them and on the destop version is states "sorry, but there was an error creating this video". Is there a reason why i am able to view some and not others? Also, I am currently using the free trial of ring protect. Is this was issue? There is still 28 days remaining. Many Thanks,

20-09-2021 04:08:52

Responses (13)

C
Hi @Apex. As long as you have a Ring Protect plan in place, this includes your trial, at the time that the event was recorded, you should be able to view it until it is deleted after 60 days. You can read more about the Ring Protect plans [here](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001671383-General-Information-on-Ring-Protect-Subscription-Plans) as well. As for what you're seeing in the Ring App and on the desktop app, would you be able to share a screenshot from both? This way I can see the message you're seeing when you are trying to access a previously recorded event. If possible, please check it on the Event History as well in addition to the timeline.

22-09-2021 05:04:49

A
Hi @Caitlyn_Ring Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the problem still persists and there doesnt seem to be anything that 'triggers' it either - its quite intermittent. As you can see from the screenshots provided, in the app, some motion events have a small arrow besides them and some dont. The ones with the arrow, I am able to view when i tap on them, but the ones without I am unable to view - nothing happens when i tap them. Looking at these events on the desktop (only allowed to provide 1 screenshot), when i click on that same event that i would be unable to view in app, it comes up with the message "Sorry, but there was an error creating this video". Im slightly worried im missing out on 'crucial events'. Do you think it could be an issue with verifying if my account actually has protect plus? It's only a trial but if i officially subscirbe would that solve the issue? - I dont want to waste money on something that doesnt work though. I have also tried viewing them in either the event history as well as timeline as suggested but there is no difference there. Thanks for you help - much appreciated. ![Screenshot_20210924-150751_Ring|243x500](upload://fAKPo4Y12SfRbblRYTyGrpM7rw.jpeg)

24-09-2021 02:34:23

C
@Apex Thank you for sharing that screenshot, I appreciate it! I'd say it's not likely this has anything to do with the Ring Protect plan itself, as the trial provides the same benefits when it comes to video recording. It's possible it's due to the connection that your Doorbell has, as the videos may not be fully processing at the time of recording if the connection isn't stable. What is the [RSSI](https://community.ring.com/t/how-it-works-your-ring-device-rssi-good-vs-poor/229#M4) number for your Doorbell on the Device Health screen?

24-09-2021 09:56:16

J
Hi Caitlyn, I'm actually having the same issue. Here's a video recording. ![Untitled|video](upload://wC5tI3ApzOrrjhxvNa2Gv6I5Gut.mp4) The RSSI on the camera is very good (-47) but this still happens 50% of the time. I will get a notification that there's a motion event, but the video never shows up.

10-10-2021 11:41:34

J
In the Ring web app, it looks like this: ![Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 4.41.18 PM|690x304](upload://izzqNQZ7phv9yJkERjZnGWjgIi9.png)

10-10-2021 11:42:06

J
@Caitlyn_Ring (not sure if i need to tag you for you to see this thread)

10-10-2021 11:42:54

M
Thanks for the examples, @jhh3000! Good call also trying both the Ring mobile and web app. As it has been some time since your post, please check these events again to see if they will play. In your image example there is an event at the same time (4:17 PM) above the one in question. Understanding that is a different device's event, it's worth checking if that event plays to confirm this is isolated to the event and/ or device. I recommend also trying this out with wifi only connection versus cell data only connection on your mobile device, to test the difference in connection. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :)

11-10-2021 07:29:21

J
hi @Marley_Ring , it looks like the first 4:17 plays just fine. it's the 4:17 from the "Front Door Side" camera that doesn't play. but i'm running into issues on both of these cameras (both cameras drop videos). I checked the 4:17 from "Front Door Side" again just now, but still same issue. Getting a "Sorry, but there was an error creating this video." again. Switching my cell phone from wifi to cellular doesn't help. Any other ideas? Is there a way we can get someone on the engineering team to debug this and look at why the video wasn't created properly?

11-10-2021 10:59:33

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User