UK - Recent update has left voice sounding GRUMPY

Hello All,

I don’t know if it’s changed at all for you folks in the US, but here in the UK we must have had an update - which includes a new voice when you arm and disarm our Ring Alarm. The previous voice was friendly and upbeat. The latest one is more like Mrs Trunchbull from Matilda.

Message to Ring - if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

1 Like

Yes, I noticed this on Friday and for a moment I thought she was ill. I agree it sounds much worse. The strange thing is that, at least in my case, the base station has the new voice but the keypad still uses the old voice. I used to have both on but I have now turned the base station sound off as it is annoying to have two different voices saying “Home and Armed” and “Disarmed” at the same time.

Contacted support on Friday and they weren’t aware of any changes to the voice but I had a firmware upgrade that day. they were going to look into it and get back to me.

Please change the voice back to how it was!

Hi neighbors! You should be able to update the voice using the Language Options tile within the Ring App. You’ll want to make sure your Ring app is fully updated as well. You can reference the screenshot to find the setting in question. :slight_smile:

Hi,
The issue here is not that we don’t know how to change the voice to other language or region. The issue is that the English (UK) voice has changed with the last update and it now sounds “Grumpy”. To make it worse, it only affects the voice coming from the base station and not the keypad. So, now every time it says “Disarmed” , “Home and Armed”, “Away and Armed” or “Sensors require bypass” the base station has a different voice rate and pitch than the Keypad (which still uses the other voice).

Not sure who had the brilliant idea of updating the English (UK) voice to sound much worse, but at least both, the base station and keypad, should be using the same voice.

Has someone at Ring tested this properly?

I already tried to change the voice to a different voice and then back to English (UK) selecting the option to update all keypads with the same voice when prompted but that hasn’t made a difference and the keypad is still using the old voice, and the base station the new voice.
I have recorded the audio from the base station and keypad for comparison but unfortunately I cannot share them here.

@Walkabout Thanks for the continued feedback on this matter. I’ll be forwarding it onto the appropriate team. In the meantime, would you mind sharing the video example you recorded of the voices to compare them? When attaching this video, you will need to compress the MP4 file into a ZIP file, as ZIP files can be attached to your reply and not MP4s. In addition, you can upload this video elsewhere, such as YouTube, and then share the link to the video in your reply.