Turn off weather notifications without turning off other Safety notifications

Hi all!

I have an Android device, and I’ve started getting weather alerts from Ring. I already get weather alerts from other apps, which now means I get double notifications for everything that mother nature decides to throw at us.

Tried looking for a way to turn off just Weather notifications, but it looks like it’s classified under the topic of “Safety”, and I can only turn off the entire topic. Is this correct? If so, how do we request the feature to toggle weather on and off separately?

Thanks!

4 Likes

Hi there, @PriS! The Neighbors by Ring app Safety alerts category is for general environmental awareness and potentially dangerous incidents. With the other options being Crime, Lost Pet, Unexpected Activity, and Neighborly Moments, these should include most other events. As this can differ by neighborhood, it is recommended to first see how your Community uses the Neighbors by Ring app to decide best which alerts types to silence.

As we always value our neighbors’ feedback, feel free to add this request on our Feature Request Board. This way other neighbors can share their interest in one place, that we can organize and share with our teams here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The OP stated that they have other apps to give weather alerts. Ring should stick to alerting us for things impacting our security system. I’m sure if users are smart enough to have a Ring device and/or Ring Neighbors app they have enough smarts to also have a weather app (and if they’re over 65 they probably have a weather app for every TV station in their area).

So yes, please remove the “weather alerts” or give us an option to turn it off. It’s overloading alerts and making them meaningless as people will ultimately ignore their devices when all they do is alert them.

It’s bad enough people endlessly post “did you hear that” or “animal spotted” we don’t also need weather alerts from a security system/app! That’s what Weather.com, Radar, WeatherBug, or Local News/weather/traffic apps are all for! WE GET IT! There’s WEATHER. I don’t need another app telling me that. Just tell me when somebody is at my door or seen on my cameras or other security system alert! Ring has gone too broad with their alerts and need to spend more time on fixing what you’ve got and delivering quality/reliable devices for a competitive and valuable price.

TURN OFF WEATHER ALERTS! (If you keep them at least get them more localized. I was alerted to something over 2 hours away from my position! real helpful! NOT!)

4 Likes

I get emergency alerts from the National Weather Service through my phone which was cannot be disabled. Why would I need additional alerts from Ring about the same thing?

4 Likes

While I don’t disagree that the system should allow you to toggle the weather alerts off if desired, it’s always good to have redundant ways to receive weather alerts. Various factors can come into play during severe weather that can prevent one notification method from working, so having a few ways to receive the alerts is best.

1 Like

These alerts are very unhelpful and extremely spammy. I went from rarely getting safety alerts, and only getting them when they are somewhat useful, to getting them multiple times a week, sometimes multiple times a day. Ring is an app I use for home security and to get notifications related to neighborhood security, not snow, high-wind, or red flag warnings. Today I got a fire alert, red-flag warning for my area, and another red-flag warning for an adjacent county.

3 Likes

These alerts are more annoying and helpful. I get weather from my weather apps. Ring should stay in their own lane and focus on security. I didn’t hire you to watch the Weather.

2 Likes

Late to the discussion, but searched for a way to turn off weather alerts. Living in the climate I do, this is non-stop. So since we can’t turn them off, I started Reporting Post. Flagging them as “Unhelpful, Repetitive, or Inaccurate”, then “unhelpful” which states: “Does not have enough information to be used for solving a crime or improving safety”. Weather alerts have no use on a crime / safety app, and I feel the “unhelpful” flag will be enough for Devs to disable them, especially if others start doing the same.

2 Likes

I cannot stress enough: THIS FEATURE NEEDS TO BE DISABLED.

As someone who loathes most all spammy notifications…. I keep Ring enabled obviously, with priority, so that I know anytime I do receive a notification… that it’s SOMETHING IMPORTANT. - And not something stupid like Facebook or the like.

Now, i’m also forced to be notified for something insignificant like a Flash Flood Watch or something else… less important.

The fact that you can’t disable these ‘weather’ notifications is nothing short of ridiculous.

3 Likes

This is infuriating enough that I just turned off ALL Ring notifications. I don’t need Ring to tell me there is a heat advisory. If Ring wants to do dumb stuff like this, I’m happy to look for an alternative.

2 Likes

This is for iOS, so likely the same on android.

Go to settings → neighbors settings
Scroll down and select “customize neighbors”
You can turn off entire subjects here

Select advanced filters.
Turn off severe weather and keep the rest of safety.
Or select whatever you like.

You can also change the area, alert times, etc. they should’ve had this in a more obvious location but there you go.

4 Likes

The weather alert I just received was at 2:30am for high heat. I think there is opportunity to improve the implementation. Until then, I think I will be turning it off…

1 Like

I am on Android, and yes, the option to turn off Ring’s redundant weather alert is available:

Neighbors > Options gear > Customize Neighbors > Advanced Filters: Deselect the Severe Weather option.

1 Like

I’ve not been happy with my RING Doorbell PRO since I got it. I have a side garage. & drive right by the front of my house leaving & returning and it only triggers about 50% of the times. The alert ZONES are properly set to cover my driveway. Had originally considered adding more RING cameras. But! I have a ROBUST WiFi signal to it and have way TOO many “Unable to Connect” issues. I hate, hate hate the incessant & redundant Weather alerts that continue even after turning off all recommended Neighbors Alert settings. When I buy and install an APP controlled device, I expect to have total and complete control over ALL alert NOTIFICATIONS. I will NOT be adding to or recommending RING to any of my friends, family or neighbors.

Now it is CAR ACCIDENTS… .and the only way to opt-out is to disable the crime feed altogether.

Ring: You are performing some unpopular development, after just raising monthly fees. You are experimenting to turn an alarm service into some kind of social-interactive eyeball magnet nobody wants except you.

Please check your attitude towards customers - it presumes we’re all captives.

I don’t mind getting one weather notification that there is a freeze, so I remember to protect my pipes.

Two notifications was annoying and seemed unnecessary.

But over the past couple of days, I’ve gotten more than FIVE identical notifications on this topic.

Why?? Is it automatically feeding some kind of warnings from a government agency or something?

Can’t the app automatically filter redundant notifications, so it’s not giving me the same exact notice over and over again?

There are five identical posts on my app… goes off on my phone. Goes off on my watch. It’s sensory overload! Come on guys, please tame this monster.

I completely agree with others in this thread… Ring sending weather alerts via notifications is just redundant and frustrating. I have my preferred weather app for that. However, like Ring, I also have other apps for other services that do the same thing… let’s see, there’s my phone’s stock weather app, my phone’s stock smart home app, the Google app with the “G” as the app icon (which I never actually even use, but apparantly is required for other Google services to function) that all send weather notifications – and that’s just off the top of my head.

These apps don’t even limit these weather notifications to only serious weather alerts, but also things like it being foggy, not humid enough, freeze alerts, etc…

Please just stick to sending us (important) notifications that involve the service you provide (the service that we downloaded the app for). Other than the important stuff, offering extra convenience-based, customizable notifications that we may or may not be interested in, is great and absolutely welcome, but only if regarding the service & only if we are asked first (whether by an in-app pop-up or by directing us to a notifications menu in-app).

I know these apps are trying to be helpful, but it ends up just being the opposite. As it is, notifications are already a “convenience” that have to be consistently & thoroughly managed… otherwise we end up with a mass of countless notifications that are no longer able to actually inform the users of anything – except that they need to get rid of that mess, so they swipe them all away… only to repeat that process every day.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.