Ring Video Doorbell

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Rings wired and battery doorbell.
V
Trouble using Ring and Nord VPN
app-settings
troubleshooting
I've been using the Ring app on my iPhone 11, and it's been fine until today when I would get a Temporary Connection Issue. There seemed like no way to get into the app, via cell or wifi. I've been using NordVpn for quite a while and have previously had no issues using the Ring app with it connected. So I tried disconnecting Nord and now I can now get into the app. The Ring app definitely does not like Nord now for some reason... though other apps are functioning fine. Why is this a problem for the Ring? I should be able to use a VPN at my home and the Ring. Please fix!

27-05-2020 02:32:45

Responses (8)

C
Hey @vtboyarc. As of December 2019, we no longer support the use of VPNs while accessing Ring, Rapid Ring, or Neighbors applications. In order to use these applications, we request that neighbor disable their VPN or ask their VPN provider to help them exclude Ring traffic from the VPN. You should be able to contact NordVPN to do this, but please let us know how you accomplish this, as this may help other neighbors! You may receive error messages including "406 Not Accepted" on our website, and "Your Internet connection is not currently working. Please try again." in the Ring app. This can be your reminder to turn off the VPN if you see this pop up and forget to disable the VPN if you cannot allow the Ring traffic on it. It's possible your VPN may work at times, as I know most VPNs work to put you in another location. As Ring is not supported in all locations, the VPN can create an unsecure network in an area we are not supported, thus limiting the app. We also have security measures in place to help protect our neighbors against unauthorized account access, so we do not allow the usage of VPNs at this time.

27-05-2020 05:22:14

J
Question: how can a VPN create an insecure connection or even one that is less secure than the public internet. To force Ring users to go over the public internet (https is NOT secure enough ) to view video you say is private and secure is totally illogical. It contradicts itself. I should be able to securely access my doorbell when needed regardless of my physical or VPN controlled location. Based on your statements it’s safer to access my doorbell, security cameras, video, etc via STARBUCKS WiFi or Verizon cellular network is LUDICROUS. To put any of my devices at risk so I can just answer my doorbell is STUPID

17-08-2020 04:07:01

E
I have Nord VPN. I just tried it on my cellphone and I was able to connect to my cams and doorbell live stream without any issues. I know Ring states it can be a problem but I don't see any myself.

17-08-2020 04:35:18

E
Also, for me to even look at my cams from my office. I have to turn on my Nord to get past my office firewalls. I don't do this often. But it always worked. Just like I did just now.

17-08-2020 04:37:40

J
Was blocked over and over from iPhone not only from Ring app but in trying to respond to you on this forum As to a business firewall, I can understand cause that is protecting their assets. I am upset because they are asking me too unprotected my assets.

17-08-2020 04:53:05

J
Curious what OS are you using? I am on iOS on my phone and windows 10 on PC

17-08-2020 04:55:15

U
Agreed. I just had the same issue with my S21 Ultra. Stopped working yesterday after major iOS update. It appears Ring (aka Amazon) is trying to gather more data on you. There are only a few apps that do not allow VPNs on my phone which are banking apps... same problem, they want to force you to allow them to collect more data on you. You will note that trying to Login to Ring.com also will nor work with a VPN on... there lies the true problem with Ring... NOT your VPN. Temporary solution is to disable VPN, login to Ring, then enable VPN and you should get notifications but to view them in the app you have to disable the VPN.

26-10-2021 02:39:20

F
user611 - When you referred to your S21 Ultra... did you mean to say that it stopped working after a major Android (rather than IOS) update? If your VPN is turned on are you: * Able to display various content on Ring.com – but not able to display the login screen or * Not able to access Ring.com

26-10-2021 01:07:23

U
I have been using Ring Protect plus for years, and I also use Nord VPN. I have tried switching my vpn connection to NordLynx, and turning local network setting off. But I cannot get the Ring app to work on my iPhone Max Pro 11, using iOS 15.1. If I cannot use the app with my vpn then I will not be renewing my Ring subscription in December.

04-11-2021 03:47:39

I
iOS NordVPN user here too and just noticed the same issue. Ring app will work with VPN if the "Threat Protection" component is turned off. I had this with other apps, it's some of the connections in the app that NordVPN classes as adverts. It's a shame as Threat Protection is useful on my phone to block annoying adverts when browsing edit: Whilst testing I noticed that if I turn the VPN off, load the Ring app + start live view and then turn VPN on after the Ring app seems to work with VPN and Threat Proection turned on.

29-03-2022 07:12:32

U
I found the same, except after a few hours reverts back to no access

01-09-2022 09:00:05

F
I used to have DualVPN’s, and NordLynx as my protocol which prevented my Ring App from launching. Once I removed the DualVPN and selected just one, my Ring App worked without having to push or disconnect. Some of you may have had my same issue “DualVPN’s” for greater security. I’d rather use just 1 VPN and have my Ring App work, than not having it work unless I pause or disconnect my NordVPN just to use my Ring App to access my cameras.

25-06-2022 02:44:04

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

D

Danielhrch

User
Solutions