TP-Link Deco Mesh WiFi bricking Ring cameras

since I have been connected to my TP-link guest network with my Ring items. I have no issues.

Also, fast roaming is also off.

1 Like

I had multiple problems that I had posted about but all seem to be resolved. To resolve I changed The Ring door bell2 to a guest network and reset. I still had some issues but it was working better so just on a whim I went and bought a new battery and charged it and changed it out and now my Ring Doorbell is working with absolutely no issues it is performing like I had expected it to from the get go! Even though the original battery showed alright in the app I do believe itā€™s was faulty. Now, if Ring could just figure out the fast roaming issue so I could use my router like it was meant to be used, I would be extremely happy with my Ring Doorbell 2! Thanks Riley_Ring for staying in touch!

This is quite interesting to me as I had no idea why my doorbells kept bricking until coming across this thread. It all started the day I installed my tp-link M4 system. It just so happens I recently moved my doorbell to the guest network for security reasons and havenā€™t had another one brick, but I get constant notifications that my tp-link has detected a new Ring device even though itā€™s the exact same device every time.

1 Like

Glad to find this thread. My doorbell and transformer had been replaced and I was sure it was going to be ok and then it happend againl. I have bricked a total of 5 doorbell 2ā€™s and was not able to see causation, or even correlation to the M5ā€™s, but my intinct as a Network Engineer for 11 years now told me there was something thereā€¦

Glad to see a the Ring Rep Riley acknowledge this since the phone and chat support treated me like I was an absolute 1D10T as they went through their checklist and just kept sending replacements for me to brick again. I have forgotten more about networking than most of them will ever know and my time is valuable to me. I was about to sending Ring an itemized bill for all the testing i felt I was doing for them and they do not want to know my hourly rate.

I have the whole subscription paid for monitored security system installed in our 3800 sq ft home with many motion sensors, contact sensors and floodlights - and it was all of this equipment that made me finally pull the trigger on a mesh system and retire my old Airport Extreme.

I can say if it is not resolved soon, I will likely take my M5ā€™s and RING system out into the backyard where I have my small firearm range and make some youtube videos showing what happened right before I switched to Google WiFi and Nest with ADT or Vivint getting even more of my $$. Otherwise I loved the system and the DIY and phasing in it let me do myself being the technology addict I am. I love how Alexa can arm and disarm my Ring system from my Echo Auto as I drive up or drive away.

Indeed, good that the problem has been acknowledged, but still it seems support doesnā€™t mention this and keeps rmaā€™ing devices again and again.
An absolute shame this is not resolved yet if you see how long this issues has been identified. I really want to reanable fast roaming. The whole reason I bought a mesh WiFi system.

Hi Guys

DO NOT UPGRADE your firmware that came out on the 23/07/19 from TP -LINK

as the issues are now on the guest network too.

And ring dont have a solution I have been on phone the all day on and off.

Still on the phone now on hold about getting my money back as they say they are working on solution now but have no time frame for it

Good to know, so even with fast roaming disabled you still have bricked devices?
Please let me know how the refund works out.
As replacing the WiFi wonā€™t solve anything iā€™ll be trading in the ring as well, but donā€™t want to throw away this kind of money (I have 3 + a doorbell)

Btw not a very good idea to leave WiFi systems unpatched

Yes, you are right not a good idea not to update your firmware.

But if you what your ring devices to still work then hold off.

I was getting no motions recording and getting four notifications for one motion.

Ring will refund you if you have bought directly from them but not from a third party.

I have decided to keep my ring products.

my solution to resolve the issue was to set up a ring network using a asus router and WIFI extender .

when I was using the mess wifi my rssi was 39

now I am using my Asus router and WIFI extender RSSI is 57

I am now using the mess system to its fullest fast roaming is now on.

This a temporary solution

1 Like

What worked for me (for now) was I just left the cameras on my AT&T modems WiFi and connected everything else on the tp Link WiFi. Roaming is still set to off but my WiFi dead zone issues are 100% betterā€¦No problems so far. Itā€™s been about a month

1 Like

So since I have already updated the firmware on my M5 network, I am screwed on using my Ring DB2? I just discovered the issue after bricking two doorbells over the last few weeks. I canā€™t afford to keep replacing bricked devices. I also canā€™t afford to replace my WiFi network again.

I just installed a ring alarm after my old 2gig system gave out. Do I need to send everything back and go with Google/Nest devices?

1 Like

Why does Ring label this issue resolved and nothing is resolved! They have known of this issue for quite a while now and itā€™s still happening and with firmware update it seems itā€™s getting worse.

2 Likes

Hi neighbors! Thank you for all of this information as well as your patience. I truly appreciate it. I am very sorry to hear that you are currently experiencing this, but rest assured that our team is looking into it and working to resolve it as soon as possible. I will provide an update within the next few days. Thank you again!

Adding my Vocie to the pile. I have had two cam spotlights die with my deco set up. As recent as yesterday (30 July 2019)

Yesterday I had to return for the third time my Ring doorbellcam 2 but while talking to support over the chat, I noticed this thread. I asked immediately about the possibility of a relation between my Deco M5 and the bricked cam and the support guy said there was no way that could happen and I shouldnā€™t pay too much attention to whatever an internet post could say. After reading all the replies, Iā€™m not so sure now. Everyone have experienced exactly the same problems as I did with the exact same setup. So count me in as one of the sad customers with a dead Ring camera and a fast roaming user

Hello neighbors, if you would like to re-enable the ā€œFast Roamingā€ feature for your TP-Link Deco Network at this time, we would like to hear if you notice any changes. Again, thank you all for your patience!

Only if you send me the replacement first. I mean not to be a jerk but I have called in so many times for these things dying that I know your techsupp process better than the last two I spoke too. I am kind of done being without the centerpiece of my extensive home alarm system. I would be more than happy to let your people use my home as a testing point if they want to see it happen real time. Takes less than 48 hours anymore. I am even in Washington state - if that is where the engineering department is. I am happy I have it working and am considering my options for another new wifi solution after only buying the M5ā€™s not even 6 months ago. As a FiOS Video Network Engineer, unless you can ship me the replacement first, I am not volunteering to be a beta tester for Ring without a significant contract. No offense but I was offended by techsupport by the lack of consideration for this being even possibly an issue after replacing the doorbell transformer, the doorbell chime, and even the wiring.

1 Like

I agree with nastybynature. I donā€™t feel comfortably ā€œtryingā€ anything when a negative result means more time on the phone with tech support, convincing them I need a new camera.

Hi All,

okay so I connected my ring door cam back to the TP-Link M4 mess network to test for any changes.

Test one I connected to my main M4 mess network

1. Live view okay pass
  2. motion Fail got four notifcations for one motion and didnt record that motion
  3. Ring of door all okay.

Test two connected to my mess network via guest network

1. Live view delayed took a long time to connect Fail
  2. Motion Fail got four notifcations for one motion and didnt record that motion but only after five minutes after the event then got the good old four notifcations
  3. Ring of door bell Fail didnt get notifcation for couple minutes later then got four notifcations for that event

For the Above tests Ihad FAST roaming turned on all the time.

So guys this FIX DOSENT WORK

I have now connected my ring door cam back to a seprate network just for my ring devices until they FIX THIS Issue but could be along wait taken them four months to get this far.

In conclusion when I recieved the message from the commuity manager I was think great work. but no total Fail.

So if you want your Ring devices to work set up a normal old WIFI network Like I have.

I did this as alot of other neighbors were not happy to try your fix.

Iā€™m not sure but I think the fix doesnā€™t have anything to do with notifications, but with bricking the device after rebooting either the router on the camera. I donā€™t care that much about notifications if my Ring suddenly dies and I have to fight my way to get a new replacement again.

I would be happy to try this, but before doing so, Iā€™d like an assurance from the forum moderators that should my Doorbell 2 be bricked again, I would be able to request a replacement by simply posting the fact on here rather than going through the rather tortuous procedure of calling the customer care line.