Ring Video Doorbell

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Rings wired and battery doorbell.
F
TP-Link Deco Mesh WiFi bricking Ring cameras
wifi
troubleshooting
Is anyone aware of any issues surrounding Ring Cameras bricking when losing connectivity to Mesh WiFi networks, specifically TP-Link Deco products? This happened to me the other day when my neighborhood lost power. Both my Ring 2 and Stick Up Cam (battery version) died. There are a couple of people on reddit that have experienced the same.

11-05-2019 09:07:04

Responses (6)

C
Hi @Famoussd - I moved your post to the correct board. The team is looking into this. Does this happen if you turn the WiFi Mesh off?

11-05-2019 02:36:27

F
I’m not sure there’s an option to turn the Mesh off but I had a power outage at my house so everything turned off. The other people on reddit said it happened when they unplugged the router to move it to another room.

11-05-2019 02:40:15

F
Here’s the reddit link: [https://www.reddit.com/r/Ring/comments/ad67az/mesh\_network\_bricking\_devices/?utm\_source=share&utm\_medium=ios\_app](https://www.reddit.com/r/Ring/comments/ad67az/mesh_network_bricking_devices/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app)

11-05-2019 02:59:01

F
and another.. [https://www.reddit.com/r/Ring/comments/a2x6dc/solar\_spotlight\_cams\_bricking\_recently\_firmware/?utm\_source=share&utm\_medium=ios\_app](https://www.reddit.com/r/Ring/comments/a2x6dc/solar_spotlight_cams_bricking_recently_firmware/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app)

11-05-2019 03:01:53

M
My Ring2 sends out multiple notifications and when I check them there is none, but when I’m in the network I see them. I might have to start an old AP to just handle it since the w2400 Mesh can’t support it. I had no issues before the W2400 Mesh network.

20-05-2019 01:34:33

J
I am having the same exact problem. I have already lost two spotlight cams and a doorbell cam. All completely dead.

02-06-2019 01:19:50

R
I have the same problem, I am on my 3rd Doorbell 2. The first one worked on my local routers wifi network for over 6 months and then I added a Deco M5 mesh network to address poor wifi connections throughout my home. It worked with the Doorbell 2 for another 2 months flawlessly (even improving my RSSI score) until the battery died and needed to be recharged. When I re-inserted the recharged battery the following day there was nothing...the Doorbell 2 was dead. I got a replacement and this lasted 6 days until we experienced a power outage at around 1:15pm and the mesh wifi network went offline, the power was restored approx 1 hour later and the Doorbell 2 recorded motion at 2:30pm. At 4:30pm I received a call from a delivery driver letting me know that he was at the gate and that he was ringing the Doorbell but there were no notifications from it. I pressed the bell but there were no LED lights illuminated on the unit and no notifications from the app or chimes. I recharged and re-inserted the battery but the unit would not reset or power back up. The 3rd replacement unit is up and running at the moment but giving very poor wifi connection (rssi score 81-86%) to the mesh network and sometimes the Live view will connect but have a black screen. I think I will try and reinstate the old wifi network from my original router just for the Doorbell 2 and see how that works out.

06-06-2019 11:57:53

R
Update: I went back to my old ISP provided router and created a new 2.4 Ghz wireless network just exclusively for the Video Doorbell 2, the two Chimes I have and the android phone I use to set up the system, I configured the router to only allow these devices access to the new 'Ring' network. I changed my Deco mesh wifi to operate in AP mode and will use that mesh wifi network for all other network access throughout my home. The Doorbell and Chimes all connected without trouble and were working as expected for around 45 minutes after which I noticed I did not get a motion alert for someone accessing my gates. The app reported that the 2 chimes were offline but the Doorbell was still online. I pressed the doorbell and the notification sounded on the unit but not on my phone or the chimes, after a reboot of the router all devices came back online and are working as normal.

06-06-2019 04:11:01

F
I disabled fast roaming on my Deco and that seemed to have fixed my problem (fingers crossed).

06-06-2019 04:14:36

R
Hopefully it has resolved your problem and seeing as the Doorbell is in a fixed location it makes sense to disable seamless roaming. I did the same with mine when I was trying to improve the wireless signal but I think I might have re-enabled it when it had no impact on the rssi. My Doorbell 2 is mounted to the pillars of my automated gates which are approx 20' from the Deco M5 and 25' from my ISP supplied wireless router. The only objects between them are a double glazed window and a slatted timber gate, even when I temporarily moved the deco to the outside window ledge the signal only marginally improved. My smartphone speedtest reported 890mbit down and 90mbit up for the same location at my pillars when connected to the Deco M5 and similar when connected to the ISP's router. The Doorbell 2 was getting an rssi score of 81 with the Deco and now 63 with the ISP's router. The mesh wifi's signal is excellent everywhere in my home and well out to my driveway, patio and garden whereas the ISP's wireless router has many deadspots in the home and will not extend out into the patio or back garden. We use wifi calling to boost our weak GSM signal (rural area with poor GSM coverage) on my smartphone so extenders are not a real option. I had 6 months of almost flawless operation from the Doorbell 2(even with multiple power outages during this period) before the introduction of the Deco M5 mesh system, 4 weeks after installing the M5 and possibly after a low battery forced the doorbell to shut down it did not start up again and was bricked. The replacement Doorbell 2 lasted only 6 days and mysteriously bricked itself with 63% charge left on the battery and a power outage caused the mesh network to go offline. Slightly off topic, the Doorbell 2 is a great piece of kit when it works, I am disappointed with the wifi connectivity and the power options for the unit. In my situation there is no existing bell at the pillar but I would buy a mains voltage transformer from Ring if there were one available for the Doorbell 2, also there is no weather shielding or cover available to protect the unit in really bad snow or wet conditions though my units failed in good clear and dry weather. The problems with Deco M5 seem to be happening to several users and the problem repeats with multiple replacements, yet there are no advisarys available from Ring or TP-Link 6 months after some posts have appeared. I hope it is resolved by disabling the roaming option on the M5 as you mentioned and hope you will post again if that changes. Meanwhile I will keep my old non-mesh wireless router in service and see how that works out.

06-06-2019 05:44:44

M
We agree @Famoussd , disabling fast roaming/ 802.11r on the Deco Mesh router should be a trusty solution for this concern. @Rubberbandit , @JD2092 , @MashNash , thank you all for your resourcefulness, I've accepted this as a solution for now. If unresponsive or timing out symptoms resurface, feel free to update us with any observations.

06-06-2019 08:24:10

S
I just experience the issue a few weeks ago, I contacted ring support but only now noticed this thread. I have a deco m9 and only my two battery operated cams are bricked (happened at or around the same time). My doorbell and wired spotlight cam are not affected. I have fast roaming enabled and don't want to disable this. ( Not sure if you can enable this per network but I don't think so). I will receive two new cams but I don't want them to be bricked as well, anyone knows if this is solved by now?.

08-06-2019 08:29:40

R
The team is currently investigating Ring devices not connecting properly to TP-Link Deco Mesh Wi-Fi while it's “fast roaming” feature is enabled. If you turn off “fast roaming” for the time being this will help. The team here is hard at work getting things sorted and we will update this thread when you are able to turn “fast roaming” on. We greatly appreciate your patience as we work to get everything running smoothly. Thank you for being great neighbors and for sharing your experiences with us in the Community!

21-06-2019 09:14:34

M
Hi Guys I spent over an hour with ring support last night they were very helping they advised me to turn on the guest network and connect the ring door bell2 and stick up cam to the TP-link guest network as well as turning off fast roaming as worked perfectly until a fix for fast roaming is found

22-06-2019 01:21:20

S
Thx for the feedback! Why setup a guest network? Can you disable fast roaming for each network separately? I've seen screenshots where you can disable it per host, but I don't see this option on my deco m9

22-06-2019 01:32:35

M
I was having issues with roaming off. I am using M4 system screen shot from my app you go to advance settings to get to roaming options ![Screenshot_20190622-144102_Deco.jpg|1080x2220](upload://wtQZbux9Kfd5ZtUjDJf8JyfuBh8.jpeg)

22-06-2019 01:48:17

S
Any updates to the subject system not working with Ring Floodlight cameras? TIA

29-06-2020 10:18:03

A
I have recently set up my rings on my deco m9.. from my understanding some devices can’t handle fast roaming so I have that and beamformimg disable and have about a -40 rssi

05-07-2020 02:07:03

I'm nearly at my wit's end now. I to have the TP LINK DECO M5. I have read everyone's comments and tried every fix everyone is saying but none of them are working. The Ring doorbell Seems to drop connection constantly, it takes me 3 or 4 attempts to view live stream. I have only just purchased the year plan had I known there was going to be these problems I wouldn't have bothered. Can someone from Ring please state if this issue is going to be fixed, I am not going to get rid of my mesh system for the sake of a doorbell if anything I will send the ring doorbell back and try to get my money back for the subscription. Surely there must be a fix for this I have no problem with any other device on my network other then the ring doorbell.

12-02-2021 08:51:23

M
Hi there, neighbors. As mentioned throughout this thread, in regards to the original concern of this topic, our team went through major testing on this and it has been resolved. With that being said, for those who have network equipment with many options for customization and adjustment, exploring advanced or unique network features is always a good step. Furthermore, having and maintaining a good connection during camera operation, and especially during an update, will ensure for continued optimal operation. Check out our [Community post about RSSI](https://community.ring.com/t/how-it-works-your-ring-device-rssi-good-vs-poor/229) for tips on understanding and improving signal strength. If you’ve tried the steps recommended by Community team members and other neighbors in this thread, and this concern is persisting for you, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available [here](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/213608406). If you are outside of the US, please visit [here ](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/213608406)to see how to contact support.

12-02-2021 11:46:55

J
Hello! We have 2 Ring Camera's in the UK. The main front of house one is attached two stories up and difficult to reach. We also have a Mesh Deco M9 Plus system, there is one of the access points right by the Ring Outdoor Cam. Unfortunately this has been offline for a month or so and we are unable to connect it back to the WiFi. Reading the thread above there is issues with Mesh bricking Ring Cams. Could you advise? It isn't ideal to have to go up a ladder every time this happens to reset the camera using the button on the bottom of the cam. I would like some support for this obviously known issue. Please advise.

25-10-2021 03:24:01

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User