Thumbnail view on dashboard not updating

I am having the same issue. On my iPhone the thumbnail does not update when I open the app. It worked fine until a few weeks ago. I don’t want to have to go to live view. Right now it’s showing a picture from 8 minutes ago! I have the Snapshot feature on and at the most frequent since the Ring2 is hardwired. Please fix this!

1 Like

Hi. If I may offer a suggestion for resolving this issue. I also have numerous cameras on the app that would refresh within minutes, if not seconds on the Dashboard, except one which had a view that was more than 24 hours old. After following other suggestions here, with no success, I decided to power down the device by disconnecting one of the wires from the transformer that controls that doorbell and let it disconnect from the app. After a few minutes, I reconnected the wire to the transformer which repowered the Doorbell camera. The camera reconnected to the wifi in a few minutes and has been refreshing on the Dashboard, as it did previously. I hope this relieves your frustration, as it has resolved my similar issue. Good Luck.

Hi, I suspect it is a problem with the ipad app.
I have a wired doorbell and the thumbnail on the dashboard updates automatically with no problem on my Android phone (S20) but it does not automatically update on my ipad.

I’m experiencing the same issue (android app), and have been for quite a while. My floodlight cam updates the snapshot on a regular basis, but it’s hit and miss on the ring doorbell 2nd gen. The doorbell does update occasionally (on it’s own) but for the most part it’s usually a day or more behind. I’ve tried all of the suggestions mentioned by various folks in this thread but so far, the issue remains ongoing and pretty much random. It seems that many users are having the same difficulty. I really wish ring would address this!

Sorry to hear about this, neighbors! The dashboard preview image should certainly update or show, when you open the Ring app. Keep in mind, battery devices will update the dashboard image less frequently than wired-only Ring devices. When checking the dashboard, leave the Ring app open for at least 1 minute to allow time for any preview images to update.

Please trigger a motion event or perform a live view to confirm the device is online and working. See if doing so resulted in the dashboard displaying the view. The next best step will be to visit your Ring device in the Ring app and check it’s Device Settings > Video Settings to ensure “Tap Camera Preview for Live View” is toggled “on”.

If you have other Ring devices, confirm the camera preview tiles are updating for other devices on the account/ location. Remember to disable any vpn on your mobile device, if one is enabled, as well as trying to force close and reopen the Ring app.

If the above steps did not help to resolve your concern with dashboard preview images not updating, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here . We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Problem is not with your devices.
The last Ring App update fixed the issue for me…

I am having this same problem and have tried everything.

Same problem here, but I solved it by power cycling the unit in question. Everything worked but the thumbnail. Power cycled and the thumbnail works again.

My other 2 devices thumbnails worked all the time

1 Like

I had the same issue with one of my floodlight cams, as the thumbnail on dashboard stopped updating. To fix the issue, I had to delete all of the stored videos under event history for that device. Once I deleted the videos, it started updating again right away.

I wanted to share a fix that worked for me to resolve this issue. To be clear, I’m not referring to the Snapshot Capture feature. This post applies to the camera thumbnails not updating on the main dashboard of the Ring app upon launching it.

I recently noticed an update installing on one of my Ring Indoor cams. After that update, motion still recorded fine, and Live View still worked fine, but the camera preview tile would not update.

From my experience, wired devices will update almost immediately upon opening the app. Battery devices refresh their thumbnail every 10 minutes. Often clearing the Ring app totally out of Recent Apps on your Android or Apple device will resolve some of these issues too.

If none of the above works, try this:

Note, the below steps will preserve all of your camera settings, motion zones, and camera history–nothing will be lost.

1. Locate your reset button on your problem camera and hold it in for a good 30 seconds. You want to fully factory reset the camera (don’t worry you won’t lose anything in the app).

2. Wait for the device to power back up. On most non-doorbells you should see the blue light blink. I believe the blue ring will circle and spin on doorbells. At that point go into that camera’s settings on your phone.

3. Navigate to Device Settings-General Settings. Scroll down and select Remove this Device but DON’T ACTUALLY REMOVE IT. Instead select Reconnect Device and the app will walk you through reconnecting the camera to your WiFi. If you end up removing the camera from your app, all settings, motion zones, and camera history will all be lost.

After doing the above steps my garage cam has worked fine again without issue.

Hope this helps!

1 Like