This device not compatible with ring app

I recently had to wipe my phone and start from scratch. The only app that will not install now is the ring app. OS is Android 8.1. The phone is a Blackberry Key 2. Anyone else run into this issue?

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Ring.com should update their web site. It still says Android 8.1 and above.

2 Likes

Its a bit much when you have to buy a new phone because ring upfate the always home app diisgusting way tl run a business would not buy any ring products again

7 Likes

Hi Neighbors. I’ve notified the appropriate team to update the documents to reflect Android 9 is the minimum OS. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

2 Likes

Yes I just ran into that problem with my Blackberry Key 2 but I love the phone so I am not getting a new one.

I just log into ring.com and I can see everything.

1 Like

Hi, yep i ve got an steam powered Samsung galaxy A5, well 4 as got 2 spare ones, it may be old but takes better pictures than new iPhone’s, and its a work phone so is used not just a toy. Has lovely finger print button. And battery still lasts all day, and in 5 yrs of having them only broken 1 screen as it was way ahead of its time.
Id rather put all my ring cams and doorbell on ebay and go to another cctv cameras, Alfred is a fab free app that actually is better than ring now as it does a constant record mode and and old phone can be used back to 4.8 and only 28 quid a year for any amount of cameras and you can even track the phone cam if its stolen, think my days with RING are done. Maybe give google ago. What a bunch of idiots ring are. I ll be talking to my legal guy as they did not contact any registered users to advise of this update and took a member to tell them, bunch of clowns

1 Like

Glad i made you laugh, cos my legal guy is my brother in law, my sister is a journalist.
Ever heard of Simba mattress company ?
I had 2 off them thst went flat and not fit for purpose, so before we went legal action, we slated and posted photographs of them on every advert they posted on social media, all because of their " no refund policy" but it got the point , i got a call from the MD of the company begging me to stop. I said i will if you get this crap out of my house and a full refund plus compensation, next day bank account surprised with refund plus compensation and next day a truck came and took the crap away.

If i wanted a brand new bells and whistles phone i d go and get one now, but my A5 is nice size and does all i need, it still works all the ring kit BTW can watch, and everything else, but my work phone is newer and has app on it, so no big issue, . My point is when you buy a product it shouldnt have an update that makes you unable to use it anymore. Bit like them phasing out fossil fuels in cars for electric in 13yrs , half of the UK cant get fibre broadband, so how hell are they gonna put in extra mains power to charge all the millions of cars to work.

Anyway glad you had a good laugh, cos you only come round once every few years, bit like Santa Claus lol,

So I have a OnePlus A5000, it’s got a snapdragon octacore, 6gb ram, 64gb total space, it has a adreno 540 dedicated graphics card, it’s faster then most NEW phones…
Go ahead and tell me why I need to buy a new slower phone just to have android 9…

Start by making the app available for multiple Android versions (and be careful with your excuses, I’m a 20 year experienced software engineer and I’ve been lead devop during the last half decade for a very large company)

This is a pretty significant issue. Ring not supporting an Android version less than 4 years old, and not telling users several months in advance that it would stop support, is completely unacceptable. This is simply the Ring development team trying to cut cost at the expense of its customers who don’t buy a new phone every 2-3 years. It’s possibly more nefarious because Ring is owned by Amazon which sells a lot of phones. It would benefit on the margins by ‘forcing’ users to purchase new phones in order to access their home security devices.

swann and lorex come to mind. I have both dvrs from them and have both of their apps installed on my samsung note8. There are probably tons more.

This is only one, of many reasons I’ve concluded that buying a Ring system, is akin to throwing ones money into a burning pit.
There are countless apps, that run every day, on far older versions of Android, with no little to no problems.

It’d be likely that most people bought the devices needed, in order to use Rings service, specificly to their needs.
And since that also likely means, that there’s very little, to no additional profit be made from these customers.
Why would it matter if they can still use this product in the manner it was originally intended, and advertised?

So really, it’s likely more about cutting cost in order to make the rich, even richer, regardless of how it affects it’s customer base.

Just bought Ring doorbell this week and still no mention on Amazon of Android 9 requirement…

Now need to buy 2 new phones…

This would definitely have altered my purchase decision

Omg, I thought I was the only person in the world using a Blackberry Key 2. I love my phone and the Ring app was working fine 1 week ago until i had to do a factory reset. Now the phone is not compatible. I don’t understand why it was working and now it doesn’t, really frustrating! I’m really happy with my phone but why can’t Ring just issue the app for Android 8.1 as well.

1 Like

I also have a Blackberry Key2! I just got a new Key2 and my ring app wont install on the new phone but it worked on my old one still. Time to dump Ring.

I also have a Blackberry Key2. I received a letter that Rapid Ring is embodied in Ring app and therefore is redundant. I deleted it and no longer received bell notifications. Not a big deal, because I could still watch and speak visitors. Customer service said I had to delete and reinstall the Ring app. She did not say I had to update. Deletion went fine. Installment did not go. “Let me ask technical support–please wait.” After a while, she came back. “You have to buy a new phone.” To summarize, by letting me delete the Ring app first, she damaged my phone. The least Customer service should do is to resend me the 8.1 compatible Ring apk. I accept it is not supported.

I solved the problem. Ring apk 3.49.0 is still on the web. Not all sources work, but I found one that does. Ring should post the apk (albeit with the support disclaimer).

1 Like

Thank you. Version 349 on APKmirror, noDPI version works great.
I have a Motorola Moto Z2 force that was running the Ring app perfectly. I only uninstalled it because I thought it was taking up more space than it should and I couldn’t delete all the cache so I was going to uninstall and reinstall. But surprise to me when i tried. Above solution works, if it ever becomes unavailable contact me thru here or social media (Daniel watkins, not the athlete) i’ll host it.

1 Like

Ring has no excuse. OK - I have one to top all.
I own several ring cameras. Every once in a while they flake out. Not sure if it’s my router or what. I call ring support and after several unsucessful attempts to get back the cameras they tell me to uninstall and reinstall the app. That would work. I have an LG V20 - the last and only phone that has a replaceable battery. It’s running 8.0. All my other 65 apps run fine. Life was good. After the 4th or 5th flake out and call, I discover that there is no “Ring” app to reinstall. Support says “so sorry” didn’ know you were running 8.0 - we just updated our app then tells me to get a new phone or use the Rapidring app or Ring.com. Great. Then I find out that either doesn’t allow you to adjust advance settings like sensitivity or several other features that only can be done through the Ring app by the primary account owner. Luckily my wife has the same phone and the working 8.0 app. So I successfully transfer a copy of her app to my phone but it won’t run. So I must use her phone, log her off as a shared user and log in as me to change settings. Did I lose or bore you yet - just wait. So I complain by emailing “jeff@amazon.com” saying there was no advance warning of the update like Microsoft, Dell or most other professional organizations and they should somehow come up with a temporary or permanent solution. Good luck with that. His executive team refers me back to ring support who offers me a free 1 year subscription and a 20% discount on ring products good for the next 6 mos. So now I need to research and buy 2 new phones. Like I have nothing else to do. Thanks Ring. Hoping that if enough people complain they’ll put the old app out there or update the app to support back level phones. And don’t tell me it can’ t be done. After 35 years of experience developing and supporting software I know 1st hand how painfull it is maintaining 2 versions of software but I did it and so can they. Email Jeff people.

1 Like

Before SolarEclipse chips in again. Obviously, many users are coming with constructive examples and solutions. But SolarEclipse is always here to add nothing. Please, stop disrupting the blog, and crowding the good ones out, and try to avoid commenting (in the usual derogatory condescending destructive manner) on this latest user’s contribution detailing all failures of Ring and Amazon.
Users are just trying to help, and, please, stop shooting the messengers.

same thing here but I found ver 3.45.1 and installed it—know Ring was working OK last OCT–which is why I chose that ver. HOWEVER, I am away and all 4 cameras are “offline” and no way to fix remotely–front door lock doesn’t even show up now as a “device”. I know our internet is working back at home because I asked neighbor and also checked my weather station and my smart controller for sprinkler sys.—they are online and working. SO did Ring just somehow disconnect my devices when they decided my LV 20 wasn’t compatible with their new app. ??? I also use ring.com on PC and laptop and it shows same thing–everything offline. Ring is a disaster!!! I have 5 cameras (2 not installed yet), doorbell cam, extender, base station (or whatever it is called) and chime–Lord knows how much all this cost me and now worthless…cannot check “offline” cameras or anything while away and when I need them…just great. what is their slogan? Oh, yea, “ALWAYS HOME” even when you’re away from home…BS big time. BTW, HOW did you contact Ring by phone?? Ring - Always Home APKs - APKMirror and scroll down to find all RING app versions