Terrible motion detection.

I’ve had the Ring Doorbell for a couple of weeks now and it’s so far been useless. We get notification of “motion” every time a car drives by, but when someone walks into our yard, up our driveway, up onto our porch or right up to our door, we get nothing. If one of us walks out the front door it notifies us that there’s someone at the door, but we get no notifications when people come to the door, like delivery drivers etc. I’ve tweaked the motion zones and sensitivity so many times, I’m not sure what else to do. I don’t care about cars driving by, I care about someone coming into our yard or up onto our porch or to our door. Am I the only one with this issue?

Hi @Megmitch. Motion detection concerns like this can typically be alleviated with adjustments to motion settings and positioning of the Doorbell itself. Which model of Doorbell do you have? Additionally, would you mind sharing a screenshot of the Motion Zones and the motion sensitivity slider from your Ring App? I’d be happy to take a look and see what solutions I can recommend. :slight_smile:

I have Gen 2. I’ve toggled my motion zones and sensitivity a ton. I even shut off the zone where the street is but that didn’t stop the doorbell from notifying me every time a car drove by. The screenshots are of my current settings.

Thank you for the screen shot example of settings, @Megmitch! Optimized motion detection is often obtained through trial and error. Vehicles from a nearby road often let off a large heat signature, lights, or reflection. For this reason, it is possible that motion is detected due to nearby street traffic. If motion settings do not help to avoid these cars, perhaps people only mode can help with the frequent alerts.

Besides settings, you can also angle your Video Doorbell differently to potentially avoid certain areas. This can be done with the wedge/ corner kits found on the accessories page at Ring.com. I hope this helps! :slight_smile: