System Rearming Itself

I’ve been a ring client now for about 6 months.

Today for the first time I disarmed the system and preceeded to make a cup of coffee.

while waiting for the coffee to finish brewing the system rearmed itself.

Has this happened to anyone out there and if so what caused it and how to prevent it from happening again

Hey @Jdharr44. Do you see anything in the Event History that can tell you why it re-armed itself? It could be from a shared user that used the app, someone that used the Keypad, or maybe it did not accept your Mode change when you did so on the Keypad/App. If you go into the Ring app > Main Menu > History > Alarm > Check back during that date/time to see why the system went back into the old mode.

If you still cannot find an answer, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Let me know what you find out, neighbor! :slight_smile:

I have had my ring doorbell pro for 11 months. Last night at 8:46 PM it suddenly disarmed itself for no apparent reason. I can find no record of it anywhere in the app but then again I can never find a record of arming or disarming either.

1 Like

Yes I’ve had the same issue! I’ve been a user for a month and already had my alarm system disarmed twice without any of my users physically disarming it. This has become very scary! I called Ring and they have no explanation.

I have been a Ring Alarm customer for a little over two years and I have never experienced my system self arming or disarming.

This morning I received an alert that my Ring alarm had been armed in “Home” mode by app. I did not do this, and there is nobody else with access. Does anybody have any idea, or previous experience with something similar?

1 Like

I have been a Ring user for 2 years.
Today, this weird thing happened first time. As the main door closed, the ring alarm armed itself, disarmed a min later then armed again in another min through app.
I was outside the house with no access to my phone. Hubby at work did not touch the app.

This is certainly odd to hear happening, @Lv58! A mode change should not occur unless done so in the Ring app, via Keypad, or by a schedule. Check out our Community post about scheduling Alarm Modes to ensure this is not causing arming/ disarming.

While it should not cause arming and disarming in the manner you’ve described, connection is worth checking. Losing connection during an arming or disarming attempt can trigger battery or cellular backup to initiate, and potentially time out on an in app request. I recommend also ensuring that no sensors are requiring bypass when attempting to arm.

If this concern persists, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here so they can take a closer look at your account with you. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

We had this happen earlier today. My phone was plugged in charging and no one around it. System says I armed it from the app. Anybody figure out a cause? Weird glitch?

Tonight one of my sensors triggered and right afterwards the device armed itself. Nobody was near an app or the keypad. The same thing happened this past saturday, armed itself for no reason. Is this a known issue?

Just had this happen to me. Look at the history it says it was switched to armed and home via Alexa, which certainly didn’t happen by any human in our house. Probably not the cats, either. Thoughts?

Hi neighbors. Check to see if you have a Mode Schedule in place. It’s also important to check with any Shared Users you have to see if they may have armed the system accidentally via the Ring app. Additionally, we have more information on how you can arm and disarm the Ring Alarm system with Alexa here that may be helpful. Disabling and re-enabling the Ring skill in the Alexa app can help to refresh that connection as well.

If this information isn’t helpful and you have further questions or concerns with your system, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. Our support team can take a deeper look and review your account history with you. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

Same thing is happening to me.
For. I reason and with non-intervention the system sets itself to Home Mode randomly a while after being disarmed from the panel.

The notice on the phone says:

Changed to Home At (time) by Amazon Alexa.
We did not do this and something is misbehaving.

For the Ring person in this chat repeating your message once and again assuming the users are dumb, read the reports and do something about it. You keep saying yourself that this is weird. We agree. It is not the way it is supposed to operate. Where is the software fix to correct this problem???

Hi @user34821. Since the Ring Community is a public peer-to-peer forum, we aim to provide general troubleshooting information that may help resolve different issues neighbors experience. The Ring Alarm should not change Modes unless manually changed, or by a Mode Schedule. Since the problem appears to be related to Alexa in your case, I’d recommend checking your Alexa settings. Completely disabling the Ring skill in the Alexa app and re-enabling it would be a good troubleshooting step to start with in order to refresh the connection between Ring and Alexa.

If the different troubleshooting tips and tricks shared in this thread don’t help, that’s when we would urge you to follow up with our support team. A member of our support team can work directly with you to look into this further, and provide more in-depth troubleshooting assistance. I hope this helps clear things up.

Seems odd (and more so disturbing), that the support people from Ring on this chat are repeating themselves with useless ideas, and none of them work. We all agree “THIS IS WEIRD, AND THE SYSTEM SHOULD NOT ARM ITSELF”.
Also pointing fingers at ALEXA when you are an AMAZON company and one of the benefits of the Ring system being the integration with Alexa and the Ring Hub serving as a smart home Hub for the locks, sensors, and other devices, including routines and integration with Alexa routines.
Why can’t you check the problem with the ALEXA team and find a solution to the problem?

You write:
" If the different troubleshooting tips and tricks shared in this thread don’t help, that’s when we would urge you to follow up with our support team. A member of our support team can work directly with you to look into this further, and provide more in-depth troubleshooting assistance. I hope this helps clear things up."
How many more users of Ring should tell you that your tips and tricks don’t help?

Why do you keep asking people to contact Ring if your suggestions don’t work, and evidently they don’t, when we are contacting you here with all the details of the problem in multiple shapes and colors? Should we start looking for a better system from a company with better support?

Hi @user34821. The Ring Community is a peer-to-peer support forum, and not a direct line for support. While we are Ring employees and can provide a degree of troubleshooting, some concerns require an in-depth analysis of your account and devices, which is something we do not have access to. This is done to ensure your privacy is respected and all of your information is handled securely by a Ring support agent once your account has been verified.

As Caitlyn has stated above, if the basic troubleshooting provided in the Ring Community doesn’t resolve your concern, one of our support agents will need to work with you to resolve this. Thanks, neighbor.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.