Switching WiFi router from no "security option" to WPA2-PSK [AES] - need to re-setup RING?

Dear all,

It looks like Ring Alarm supports WPA2 Personal, with encryption types TKIP, AES, TKIP + AES. Ring Alarm does not support WPA2 Enterprise encryption.

If my WiFi router currently has “password” setup, but no security option (WAP2, AES, etc) set, and now I want to add WPA2-PSK [AES] , do I need to re-setup all the RING security camera and the video door bell? Thanks!

Also, by the way, between these two options, which one is better (more secure and more compatible with RING wireless video doorbell and wireless outdoor camera and Ring Alarm)? Thanks!

• WPA2-PSK [AES]
  • WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]

The second option (with WPA-PSK) is for compatibility with older devices that might not support WPA2. I would start with just WPA2-PSK and if all your wireless devices can connect, stick with it.

And yes, I would think if you change the setup on your router, you’ll need to reconnect all the devices, including your Ring devices, so they use the new password and encryption method.

2 Likes

Is there anyway to make it easier to reconnect all the devices? I have some RING outdoor flood security camera (wireless) that need tall ladders to reach, and if I have to push the button on each device to re-setup and get all of them to reconnect again, it would take a lot of efforts. Thoughts? Also would love to encourage RING engineers to consider this use case for future product improvement (to ease the pain for customers to re-setup each device if we have to change the WiFi router security options (e.g. switch from no security to WPA2-PSK [AES]. Thanks!

By the way, does RING use 2.4G or 5G WiFi? Just curious… thanks!

By the way, if I keep the original SSID and password, and only change the encryption method, would such change still require me to “reconnect” all of my Ring devices? Thanks!

Also, if I change/upgrade my WiFi Router, but use the same SSID and password on my new router and keep the same encryption method. Would that also require me to “reconnect” all of my Ring devices (especially for Ring outdoor Security camera)? Thanks!

For #1, I believe the answer is yes, you’d have to re-connect everything since the encryption method changed.

For #2, if you change the router but use all the same settings (SSID, encryption, password, etc.) you would not need to re-connect your devices, they would do so automatically.

1 Like