Suddenly Ring App Has Issues with Live View, & Top Left Back Arrow on Camera Page Doesn't Work

Hi,

I hope everyone is safe and behaving prudently.

I recently got a new Galaxy A50 Android phone. Everything went smoothly in terms of transferring data and upgrading the OS to the latest version of Android 10. The Ring app has been working fine all week.

But yesterday, suddenly my ring app is having issues with live view. It’s not a hardware problem with the cameras, my wife’s iPhone’s Ring app works fine. The WiFi connection between the router and the cameras is strong (better than -50 or -60) and the WiFi connection between the phone and the router is also excellent. Since this problem starting occuring with several cameras, I doubt it’s a camera issue.

I tried clearing the data and the cache of the Ring app. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it several times. I made sure that Bluetooth and VPN is off. I don’t know what to try next. I think the app is buggy. I also downloaded Rapid Ring on the same phone; it works fine, I can access Live View without a problem but I really only want to use one app, not two.

Any suggestions other than to ask the developers to fix this?

Thanks,

Jerry

Hey @jsg. Thanks for providing details on what you’ve tried already. You’ll definitely want to make sure your VPN is off whenever accessing the Ring App, as VPNs are not supported and will cause concerns with accessing the app. I know you’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Ring App already, but I’d like you to try the following steps in the order listed: uninstall the Ring App, turn your phone off for at least 2 minutes before turning it back on, reinstall the Ring App. After that, please sign back in and try to access the Live View again.

Should this concern still persist, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers availablehere. Our support team will be able to work more closely with you on this and offer more advanced troubleshooting steps as needed. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

Hi Caitlyn,

I did exactly what you suggested, uninstalled Ring and also Rapid Ring, turned off the phone and waited 5 minutes before turning the phone back on. I then reinstalled the Ring app but this did not fix the problem.

The other problem that started exactly when the Live View issue began is that on the Ring App there is a “camera page” ( to change settings, check camera health, open live view, etc.) for each camera that is installed. At the top upper left of that screen there’s an arrow button to get back to the dashboard. This arrow button stopped working as well (on every camera page) at the same time Live View stopped working.

Please escalate this so I can get the Ring app working as it was last week. I can’t think of any settings I’ve changed or any software I installed that would cause this problem to occur.

Thanks,

Jerry Gerber

@jsg Thanks for trying out those steps and letting me know how it worked for you. In this case, I’d definitely recommend reaching out to our support team at one of the numbers available here. They’ll be able to work directly with you to document this concern and offer more advanced troubleshooting steps to get to the bottom of things.

Regarding the navigation button on Android, I did actually touch on this topic in this thread here. I’ve let the appropriate team know about what’s going on, but in the meantime, you should still be able to use the phone’s native back button.

Hi Caitlyn,

I am 100% convinced these problems with the device page back arrow key and Live View began when I installed the latest version (3.28.0) of the Ring App. Before that version, everything was working as designed.

Could you please ask Ring to allow users to download previous versions of the app so we can avoid scenarios such as this?

Sincerely,

Jerry Gerber

Well, I downloaded the newest version of the Ring app, 3.28.1 and though the device page back arrow issue has been fixed, Live View has not. I would think that would be the priority in terms of repair…

Jerry

@jsg Thank you for sharing that update on what you’re experiencing. Since the concern you have regarding Live View persists, I’d highly suggest reaching out to our support team at one of the numbers availablehere. They can work directly with you to figure out what’s going on with the Live View and find a working solution for you. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19here to see how to contact support.

I switched my WiFi to Xfinity and was given the newest router xb7 which immediately blocked my live view. After having Ring tech check it out and found connectivity was the problem, I contacted Xfinity. They acknowledged there was a problem and said my only recourse was to exchange it for the older router, xb6. We are waiting for an appointment so we can exchange it, though we really liked the newer router.

1 Like