Subscription Renewal Policies/Procedures

I suspect that for many users, the FIRST indication of a possible problem with their Ring account occurs when they discover they can’t access their EXISTING video clips. At that point, they probably don’t even realize their loss of access to these video clips is PERMANENT.

Ring’s anti-consumer subscription renewal policies are abusive and cause unnecessary harm to users. There are obviously much better ways of solving billing-related issues. It is imperative, however, that any billing-related changes ENHANCE the privacy/security of Ring customers, rather than LOWERING it.

I assume that many Ring Community members could easily provide excellent suggestions for preventing/solving subscription renewal-related problems that are far superior to the strategies that are currently in use. (I know I certainly could.)

1 Like

Hi there, @Frustrated427. When a subscription payment fails or is going to lapse, the email you used for your Ring account will receive several advance notices of such. You can also log in at Ring.com to view your plan’s status. At this time there is not an in app indicator of this before-hand. As we always value our neighbor feedback, we will certainly pass this interest along to our teams here. :slight_smile:

Marley_Ring -

When you say “When a subscription payment fails or is going to lapse, the email you used for your Ring account will receive several advance notices of such” – I assume you mean that would presumably happen if a subscription/billing problem occurred TODAY (unlike what happened in the past).

In my experience, in the past, if you changed the email address in your Ring account, you would NOT receive ANY subscription-related email (and/or in-app notifications) related to your next subscription renewal. Thus, your first inkling that there may be a problem of some sort was when you discovered that you could no longer access any of your existing video clips. Since Ring Community members continue to report that they were shocked to discover that they have permanently lost access to their existing video clips, there is an implication that billing/renewal problems have NOT been fixed.

I’m also confused because in this thread, you say “At this time there is not an in app indicator of this before-hand.” In the “Subscription Lapsed and I Need Lost Videos” thread on 10/18/21 (three days ago), however, Tom_Ring wrote “Prior to your subscription ending, you should have received in-app notifications letting you know that your Ring Protect Plan is about to expire. You should get these notifications 14 days prior to your Ring Protect Plan ending as a proactive approach to retaining your videos.” Could you provide a (detailed) clarification of whether there are, indeed, any in-app subscription/renewal notifications of any kind (either before the renewal date and/or if a payment-related problem occurs)?

I’d be happy to clarify further! :slight_smile: The orange banner in the Ring app is an indicator for the Trial Plan only, and will show up prior to the Trial Plan expiring as a reminder to subscribe. This orange banner is not used to indicate anything for current Protect Plan subscribers.

If you do experience any billing concerns, our support team is happy to assist further. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

Anyone else agree that this subscription plan is total BS??? Blink doesn’t charge you for a minimal storage amount…
I am all about paying for add/additional storage BUT nothing at all ??? That’s the whole reason for having a security camera is to record something while you’re not looking! I wanted an AC powered unit hence why I switch from Blink but the money I thought I was saving on batteries is now gone to this subscription…. Plus the cost of Ring is more !
I wish Ring would offer a minimal amount of storage for free.