Strange screw used in mounting bracket for Spotlight Battery Cam

Has anyone ordered a Spolight Cam Battery recently? Just got mine and trying to mount it but can’t because the screw used in the mouting collar is so uncommon and i have no bit for it. The screw driver included with the kit is a standard philips but the screw in the mounting collar is star pattern but it also has tiny stem in the center of the star protruding that i can’t use any regular “star” bit. This is so frustrating. How can they use such a strange screw? Now my only option is to drill the thing out and use another screw.

I’ve included a photo. In the center is a protruding stem preventing me from using a regular star bit.

1 Like

Hi @madsam06. This looks to be the security screw we have installed in the device. The security screw requires a Torx, or star head, screwdriver. If you have the orange screwdriver provided in the original packaging, you can take the screw bit out and flip it around to the star head end. If you don’t have this screwdriver, you can purchase a star head screwdriver at your local hardware store.

That was it, thank you Chelsea! Had no idea that screw driver was reversible.

1 Like

One of my cameras did not include the star security screw either. I have contacted Ring support 6x and still cannot get them to send me the proper screw. Where can I get this screw before someone walks away with my camera?

Thank you.

I have the ring screwdriver but its too small for the security screw. Help. I cant reset the ring because I cant get the cover off.

Hi @StacyPose. The security screw is a Torx, or star head, screw. If you don’t have a screwdriver of this type, you can either purchase a Spare Parts Kit or purchase the screwdriver from your local hardware store.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.