Storing footage

Just had a new indoor cam delivered today :slight_smile:

How do you store footage locally, say on my computer/laptop hard disk or phone memory without having to use the cloud storage? Is there an option in settings of the application where I can choose where the videos or snapshots are saved? I’ve have looked but I can’t find such an option.

I understand Ring offer cloud storage however I don’t need this because I have countless TBs of storage space of my own, both in the form of hard disk drives and a 5TB Nas drive which is always on. So without a doubt, I have no need for cloud storage (incase somebody tries convincing me otherwise).

But i’m worried fallen into a bit of a trap… After about 2 hours of messing around I can’t figure it out. All footage seems to be sent to the Ring servers. To view it, you have to stream it from the Ring servers… at a cost! Argh! Please tell me my assessment of this is wrong.

I don’t need to send all my footage to a cloud storage, just need to be able to see through the camera and play back footage either on my computer or phone. My NAS drive is connected to WIFI, I see no reason why it can’t be used as a location to save footage from the camera.

Has anyone else had this problem. Please let me know how solved it. Cheers.

It’s not a DVR system. It’s cloud based. You will need a subscription after 30 days of the free trial. You can manually download video and pictures. But there’s no way to automatically do it.

My husband passed. I didn’t know there was a max of 60 days. There is a vid Im trying to retrieve from 5/26-5-28 that I cant access now. Is there a back up cloud storage where my videos might be?

Hi there, @AnnaFarkas. Our condolences, from the entire Community, to you and your family.

I’ll be happy to assist you with this and any other Ring questions you might have.

When it comes to your subscription and video storage, we respect our neighbors privacy and security, thus, they are stored solely on your Ring account. There are features included in the subscription plans, such as the ability to download videos to store on your mobile device. This is the best way to save videos without needing to worry about a storage time frame, and would be the next best place to check.

Check out also our help center article about Shared Video management for information on managing previously shared videos.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you need anything else, @AnnaFarkas.

1 Like