Stickup Cam - not part of Ring Security Alarm System?

Hi,

I have just added a Stickup Cam (2-gen wired) to my Ring Security System (protection plus).

Motion detection is working fine.

But I don’t see it appearing in the alarm devices list for the security system.

Any suggestions?

1 Like

I’m really baffled by this.

If the stickup security cam isn’t part of Ring’s security alarm system,

it can’t trigger alarm and notify police when I’m away from home - when I enroll in the protection plus monitoring, which is the primary goal of buying these security cameras.

What’s the point of buying security cams then?

Anyone?

BTW, I’m still in the trial period. Should that matter?

The cameras are for you to know when something is moving or has moved in front of them. Also I can see what’s going on at any time. To be used with the alarm outside would cause many false alarms. To be used inside, it could be used but the motion detectors work better and are cheaper. The plans are shown here.
https://shop.ring.com/pages/protect-plans
Another thing is that the cams can be linked to the alarm. So if the alarm goes off the cameras will start to record, which is also a great part of it to me.

If you go here you can see everything that can be used with the alarm.
https://shop.ring.com/pages/security-system

@Eagle328 wrote:
The cameras are for you to know when something is moving or has moved in front of them. Also I can see what’s going on at any time. To be used with the alarm outside would cause many false alarms. To be used inside, it could be used but the motion detectors work better and are cheaper. The plans are shown here.
Another thing is that the cams can be linked to the alarm. So if the alarm goes off the cameras will start to record, which is also a great part of it to me.

For indoor,

I can understand there can be potential false alarm - but other motion device like the indoor motion sensor can also have false alarm. The chance of either device causing false alarm is pretty similar I’d imagine.

So it makes sense to use one security cam indoor as a trigger and do the recording, vs motion sensor + security cam - just redundant isn’t it to have to install both devices in every room?

If Ring can allow users to use the security cam indoor as trigger I can just install it alone vs installing both motion devices. This simplifies the system a LOT.

Less devices = less load on the Ring system.

For outdoor,

I had multiple intrusions into my backyard/shed area, where all my power/power garden tools were taken away, water hose cut off in the backyard, and lawn mower hauled away(!)

So the backyard/tool shed are important areas I need to secure - and fires an alarm, if anyone goes in - while I’m traveling.

Trepassing by itself is already a violation of the law and that’s what I’m going after.

The Ring security team can give me a call to confirm security threat - before contacting police etc. This process is already in place when an alarm is activated already anyway, so this isn’t any different practice then what Ring is already doing. Just need to allow the user to configure to add the security camera to the alarm device list when there’s a need to do so.

I just checked with Abode they’re doing this already, allowing security motion camera to trigger alarm, so this is totally doable.

@Keen wrote:

@Eagle328 wrote:

For indoor,

I can understand there can be potential false alarm - but other motion device like the indoor motion sensor can also have false alarm. The chance of either device causing false alarm is pretty similar I’d imagine.

Looking at this,

the included Ring alarm motion sensor unit will probably actually has a LOT higher FALSE alarms - compared to the Stick Up Cam (wired).

The reason is the Stick Up Cam (wired) has People only mode. That eliminates a LOT of false positives.

For outdoor,

In my case I’d have to actually use the alarm Motion Sensor pointing to my backyard to trigger the alarm, since the Stick Up Cam (wired) isn’t part of the alarm system.

So I’d suspect there’d be a LOT more false alarms using the alarm Motion Sensor to trigger alarms in the backyard,

since there’d be birds cats, etc. in the backyard,

while the Stick Up Cam’s People Only mode will help filter out a LOT of these false positives.

So I’d think Ring should actually recommend people to use the Stickup Cam with People Only mode - over the motion sensor.

But if you look up the problem people are having with people only mode on this forum, you’d see it so far doesn’t work so well yet. Cats, dogs and other things are still setting the motion detectors off. The motion sensors for the alarm can’t be used outside as well. The only motion sensor for outside is one from the smart lighting and only works with them and not the alarm.

Obviously the current version of the People only mode is not perfect. But it’s still better than flat adjustment of sensitivity.

I think that a combination of heat pattern check + movement patten check is needed to do a better job of People only mode.

I’m expecting the people only mode to get better in the next update?

Eventually, it needs to work pretty accurately (like > 80% accuracy). E.g. SimplySafe is doing a decent job of that.