Stick up cams keep disconnecting

I have 4 stick up cams and a ring pro doorbell. My stick up cams keep randomly disconnecting from the network causing me to not be able to use live view or get notifications.

I recently purchased a TP-Link Deco M3 mesh system and thought maybe the nodes were disconnecting and causing the cameras to lose connection so I returned the M3 and bought the higher end M5. However, with the M5 I continue to experience the same problem. The cameras disconnect and reconnect randomly throughout the day.

I have tried turning Mesh off for the cameras so they only stay connected to the node they were already on. I have tried turning fast roaming off. I have made the cameras always have bandwidth priority. I have tried assigning static IPs to the cameras and nothing fixes it.

Again, this only happens to the battery cameras which run on 2.4ghz. The Ring pro doorbell runs on 5ghz and works fine.

The stick up cameras all have a good wireless strength (45-55 rssi in the app). My speed at each camera location is around 25-30 mbps down and 6-10 mbps up.

No other devices disconnect so it has to be something going on with the cameras. I don’t know what to do!

Hi @Joshandmonica. This could be related to the ports and protocols that your device is using to access your router/nodes. This Help Center article here has information on how to configure these ports and protocols. With these adjustments, you should see an improvement in your cameras performance.

If you find that these adjustments haven’t made an improvement, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

Do the stick up cams need to be placed close to a WIFI port to maintain a good connection and signal or does that not matter?

Hi @bdgosu610. Distance is always a consideration for RSSI. To learn more about RSSI, check out this Community Post here. I hope this helps!

Hey Joshandmonica,

did you ever figure this out?

I’m seeing the same thing - WiFi disconnects from my various Ring devices (multiple Doorbell 3+ and Stick Up Cam Battery) since replacing my old non-mesh wifi APs with a TP-Link X75 3pack mesh.
I have the Ring units on a dedicated (to IoT) 2.4GHz SSID, that uses WPA/WPA2 (as I found many IoT devices couldn’t handle WPA2/WPA3).

I think Tom_Ring missed that it’s the WiFi connection (between the Ring device and the WiFi AP) that’s dying, not the connection between the Ring device and the Ring service.

Thanks
Craig

Cross posting for completeness: Ring Stick-Up Stopped Working with TP-Link Mesh - #6 by bparry

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.