Stick up cameras versus $50 plug in cam

Need advice. Trying to decide on whether to buy a stick up cam or the less expensive plug in cam. Aside from the one being indoor and outdoor, and battery operated; is there any other difference. I need a cam on my bookcase. I assume the battery would wear out quickly in the living room if we are always in that room. Thoughts and experience?

@RB98 wrote:

Need advice. Trying to decide on whether to buy a stick up cam or the less expensive plug in cam. Aside from the one being indoor and outdoor, and battery operated; is there any other difference. I need a cam on my bookcase. I assume the battery would wear out quickly in the living room if we are always in that room. Thoughts and experience?

@RB98 ,

Comparing Main differences between Indoor Cam vs Stick-Up Cam Features:

• Indoor Camera and Plug-in (powered versions) Stick-up Camera, do not use a Battery, so no worrying about recharging or Battery-Lifespan issues. But now the camera is Not cordless and needs to be plugged into a wall-outlet.

• Indoor Cam is SMALLER (approximately 3.5" tall & 1.75" diameter) than the Stick-Up Camera (approx. 4.5" tall & 2.5" diameter). Stick-up cam has an internal Battery compartment, empty when Plug-In, and holds battery when battery-powered. There is NO internal battery or battery compartment in the Indoor Cam.

• Without battery-life issues to worry about, the non-battery-powered Ring cameras have many more (high-energy-draining) feature options to include Motion-zone (adaptive) and quicker “Snapshot” intervals (Snapshot still pics taken between triggered motion videos). The Indoor Camera & Plug-In Stick-Up Camera also have these similar extra features because they are externally powered (Plug-In (wired) or Elite PoE+). The Battery Stick-up camera, will only download firmware with limited option features, to extend battery-life.

• Indoor Camera is not designed for outdoor use. Stick-up can be used indoor or outdoor.

• A very recent new firmware download has enabled the Stick-Up camera adjust between 15-second to 120-second-long “video-batches’ per triggering motion-activation. This is slowly ‘rolling-out’ to all Ring Video devices so the Indoor Camera will soon be able to make Video recordings in larger than 60-second “batches.” That means when a motion triggers the recording, the video records a 'batch”, and then if triggering motion is still present, another batch recording would start, and so on. There is a slight-delay between ‘batches’. The On-Demand “Live-View” maximum-duration “Video-Batch” is the same 10-minutes for all Ring Video cameras.

• Price: Indoor is less expensive than the Stick-Up cameras. BUT the 2020 “Labor Day” has a $15 discount on the Stick-Up Cameras right now! Indoor Cameras are not discount in this sale, so the price gap is narrowed.

I hope you find this information useful in your decision. I personally would try to stay with a powered-version of the camera because of the additional features that are not available in the battery versions. Also, with all the frequent triggering motions in the living room, that would really deplete the battery rapidly! And if you are leaning towards the Stick-up camera, don’t miss out on the current Labor-Day savings! :slight_smile:

1 Like