Stick up cam turns on randomly

Hey

We purchased a Stick up cam to use indoors in our sons nursery. Randomly, the camera will turn on even though the motion sensor is turned off and we are all in bed, my sons is fast asleep (not moving), there’s zero movement.

It really freaks me out like someone has hacked into our camera and is watching us.

The reason I know the camera turns on is that it happens when I’m putting him to bed and when Iv been up every 2 hours breastfeeding him (out of sight of the camera but I can still see it).

Does anyone else have this problem? I’m so close to sending it back to Ring as I really don’t feel that safe with it in the room which is the complete opposite feeling you want when you buy a security camera.

Thanks

2 Likes

Hi @Lianne. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We want to assure you that we take all of our neighbors’ concerns very seriously. Are we able to have a member from our team reach out to you about this? If so, we would reach out to you using the email address associated with your Community account and a member of our team will be in contact with you. If this is alright, please let me know and I will arrange this for you to ensure that your concern is addressed appropriately.

1 Like

Hi Tom

Yes, please do, that would be fab.

1 Like

I am having the same issue. Last night the stick up camera clicked a few times and then turned on. In the app there is no record of a recording and it is not showing its active but the blue light is on and then goes off.

So I don’t know I’d this helps you but Tylor from Ring phoned me and went through a bunch of things and I believe mine to be a software issue which now appears to be resolved.
Ring recommend a factory reset and let the device update itself again. If that failed to fix it they offered to replace free of charge.

They had great customer service and sorted my issue out super quick. They then walked me through to make my app really secure.

I’d say try a reset first and if not, reach out to Ring to see if you can get your swapped out cause I found the random camera turning on very concerning.

I hope this helps you

2 Likes

Thank you for the update. I will definitely try this. I am glad they were able to fix your issue and hope mine is easy as well.

1 Like

mine too. it feels very spooky, like someone from somewhere is peeking in on me…very strange and disconcerting.

1 Like

This literally just happen to mine 10 minutes ago and it’s never happened before. I keep a stick up cam in my living room and I only record when we’re not home so it’s turned off right now. I’m usually not up this late and it just randomly clicked and the light came on. I checked the app and there are no recordings. I feel like someone is watching me. What could this be?!?

Same thing happened to my ring indoor cam not too long ago. I started googling and found this thread. It made a clicking sound and turned on right in front of me. I knew it was off because I checked the app.

It is concerning.

Same thing happened to one of ours, in the living room. I just happened to notice it/heard it, and the light was on. Motion settings off since we were/are home. Very creepy and if it happens again, i will be removing the cameras. That is not normal.

This seems to be happening a lot in reading this thread. What is the fix ? If it’s getting “hacked” it’s not from the outside. I have a solid firewall in place. So it’s software/app driven and back door accessible.

1 Like

Hey neighbors. When the infrared lights on the camera activates, an audible “click” can be heard. This happens in low light or complete darkness. I’ve noticed this happens in my dark room when my cell phone lights up and then goes dark. The sensor on the camera detects the light change and activates the infrared lights. I hope this alleviates your concerns.

1 Like

Same thing happened to me. Late at night & we were home, camera was off. Lights were on & so was TV. We hear a click & blue light comes on camera in Den. No video captured in app. Called Ring Customer Service (at 11:30pm & they answered!) & they said blue light may turn on when camera is getting software update — is that true or was he just trying to make me feel safer because I told him I was freaked out?

Not sure if this was addressed for everyone but we’ve got a few of the internal cameras and they’ve started to switch on in the early hours of the morning for no reason, open the app and it doesn’t show them active but the light on the cameras suggest otherwise.

Am I missing something because nothing suggests a update or anything but they turn on and I’m unable to find a reasonable answer for why this happens

Same thing just happened to me. 1:50am cam turned on blue light on and motion sensor is off in app and no record of it being turned on. Creepy. I stared straight into it and it quickly shut off.

1 Like

Has anyone heard or found a solution on the blue light turning on while camera is off?

Mine does the same thing but it’s every hour on the clock it’s so annoying
Did your issue get resolved?

IT happens to me often! I have to turn my cameras to face the wall…AM I BEING WATCHED!!! It concerned me so much i googled the issue and stumbled across this platform i didnt know existed

This just happened to me. I check the device settings of my camera and found that the time of the “Last Health Check” was at the same time that the light coming on. So I think that’s what happened in my case.

I’m not sure if the camera records or anything during the check. It would be nice if ring could be a little more descriptive/transparent with what a “Health Check” entails.

This has happened to me last night … freaked me out … the camera is OFF motion OFF etc.

Hi this is happening to me as well… very freaky and always during the middle of the night.