Stick up Cam stopped recording and will not show the live feed

I’ve had my stick up cams (battery powered) for many months now and they’ve been working perfectly. All of a sudden yesterday afternoon one of the stick up cams stopped recording any videos and won’t load the live feed. My timeline for that camera has said “this footage is unavailable” continuously since it stopped yesterday afternoon. Prior to that it was recording motion just fine as there were a number of motion events throughout the earlier part of the day and i’m able to review those videos without trouble. I confirmed that the camera is “online” like all the others and the “last heath check” is listed as being done about 15-20 min before the camera stopped working. This one is connected to a solar panel and I confirmed it has 68% battery life remaining. My wifi is working perfectly for all of my other devices, but I reset the router just in case. No luck. I tested my wifi and the download speeds are about 100 mbps and upload 8 mbps. RSSI-62. My firmware is “up to date.” I don’t have people only mode turned on or any mode settings (related to how my alarm is armed) enabled for my cameras. I noticed last night that the blue light (which normally shows when it’s recording motion) was on and wasn’t turning off…it was solid blue. My motion frequency is set to “frequent” and the sensitivity is set to max. My motion verification is off and I do not have a motion schedule set up. “Record motion” and “motion alerts” are both toggled on. None of this has changed recently.

Hello @Jessica7 ,

Although it is rare, your firmware program in your camera could have hit a ‘glitch’ and the programming can not continue. First thing I would try is to plug the Solar panel cord and remove the battery, and then give it a minute, and then reinstall the battery and reconnect the solar panel cord. It should take a few minutes to ‘wake up’ again and hopefully the ‘glitch’ is gone.

If your camera is still glitching or it reoccurs again, another option you should consider is re-setup your Stick-Up cam, but perform a " Hard" Factory reset on your cam (instead of a regular setup) The reason is that during a Factory Reset, you will restore your cam back to its original factory firmware programming and you totally clean out any downloaded firmware since then. There is a possibility that your device might have some slightly corrupted firmware that occurred during your initial setup. Using a Factory Reset, you will be starting fresh and clean, and will eliminate any possible malfunctioning caused by previous slightly-bad firmware that has manifested into an issue now.

Hopefully you can complete this Factory Reset while at your cam’s mounted location, as long as you have a good Wi-Fi signal. But if it is movable, accomplish this hard reset with the cam closer to your router. To accomplish a Factory hard Reset on your Stick-up cam, remove the bottom cover and Push and Hold the reset button for 15-20-seconds, but I like holding it for about 30-seconds , and then release. After you release the Reset Button, the device will take a minute or two to ‘wake up’ and then automatically enter the Setup Mode. Proceed and complete the entire setup, and when you get to the part where the App offers you to “Skip” button, DO NOT. This is a delicate part of the setup, where it is going to download all the latest available Firmware. This could take up to 5 or 6 minutes, depending on the speed of your Wi-Fi. Even when your hear her say, “Your Ring Stick Up Cam is now ready” still wait and do not continue for a while. Continue on the next App pages until reaching the page that has the “Skip Button” and stop there. Wait until this page steps to the next page on its own. Even after your App goes to the next step, I wait another minute. Yeah, I’m a little paranoid and I don’t like to rush this part. You want to provide your cam the opportunity to get a nice, clean firmware download, without proceeding on to change settings as this download is simultaneously occurring. A little patience here can help avoid having to start all over again with another Factory Reset.

And then, if this all doesn’t correct your issue, I would telephone Ring Support for help:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036196372-Get-in-Touch

Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19, their available hours have been changed also:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041597471-Ring-s-Response-to-COVID-19

I hope this information is helpful :slight_smile:

Hi @Jessica7. Thank you for sharing details on what you’ve been experiencing as well as what you’ve tried. The RSSI could be causing the Live View concerns you’re experiencing if it’s at -62. I would recommend checking out our Community Post on RSSI here for some common causes of a high RSSI as well as potential solutions. If the solutions in that post are not helpful, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. They’ll be able to take a deeper look at this concern and offer more advanced troubleshooting support for you. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile: