Stick up Cam recording length

I have a Stick up Cam and have the video recording length set to 120 secs but when I view the history to check on recent events I am noticing a couple of issues.

Firstly, motion is detected when i leave the house and get into my van on the driveway, once the van door is closed the recording stops which is fine but a few seconds later when the van drives off there is no further detection.

Secondly, a car drove over my front garden, reversed back off and pulled into the road, the car door opened andā€¦ no idea as the recording stopped!

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Any advise welcome

@craigmc wrote:

I have a Stick up Cam and have the video recording length set to 120 secs but when I view the history to check on recent events I am noticing a couple of issues.

Firstly, motion is detected when i leave the house and get into my van on the driveway, once the van door is closed the recording stops which is fine but a few seconds later when the van drives off there is no further detection.

Secondly, a car drove over my front garden, reversed back off and pulled into the road, the car door opened andā€¦ no idea as the recording stopped!

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Any advise welcome

Hello @craigmc ,

All Ring devices make use of Advanced Motion Detection and Motion Verification, which includes People Only Mode. This feature differentiates between people and other objects or animals. People Only Mode notifies you of motion if a person is detected in range of your device.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042728431-Advanced-Motion-Detection-in-Ring-Devices

People Only Mode looks for shapes that look like humans, specifically the head and shoulders region (i.e. not cars).

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022461232-Motion-Detection-in-Powered-Ring-Devices

Motion Verification of the Advanced Motion Detection more accurate because it reduces unwanted motion notifications and trims recordings before they end. For example, if there is a Motion Event, like a person walking in front of a camera, your camera might keep recording even after the person is out of range of the camera and nothing is happening. If you have Motion Verification turned on for your device, this might change your max recording length. For example, if you chose 120-seconds as your Video Recording Length and you have Motion Verification turned on, your video might cut off at 60-seconds if thereā€™s nothing being recorded.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360049667572-Adjust-the-Video-Recording-Length-for-Wired-Devices

You can ā€˜tweakā€™ your motion settings, turn off ā€œPeople Only Modeā€ if you want to detect objects like cars, adjust your Motion Zones so screen out unwanted areas, and adjust the Motion sensitivity slider, and Motion Frequency, etc. until you get the results you desire.

Also, it is rare but sometimes the Ring App can display a setting that is not what is stored at the Ring Cloud server, so even if your Ring App is displaying the correct Video Recording Length of 120-second setting, you can select and save a different time setting, wait about a minute, and then re-select and save 120-seconds setting to ā€˜re-sendā€™ this correct information back to the Ring server.

I hope you find this information helpful. :slight_smile:

1 Like