Stick up cam battery draining

I installed a fully charged battery 3 days ago and the battery is already depleted by 27% despite motion detection and notification deactivated. The weather is around 20C so cold not an issue. This has now happened with 2 different batteries so I’ve excluded them as being the source of the problem.

What could possibly be draining the battery under these circumstances. My other stick up cams are working fine.

Hi @NickA. Thank you for mentioning that you have already tried a different battery in an effort to narrow down what may be causing this concern. Have you done any troubleshooting on the Camera itself yet? I’d recommend doing a full reset on the Stick Up Cam after inserting a fully charged battery. To reset the Camera, hold down the setup button for at least 20 seconds. After the reset is complete, walk the Cam through a new setup in the Ring App using the steps under Set Up a Device. Let me know if you notice any difference after these steps. :slight_smile:

Ok - I’ve done as you’ve suggested. The battery is currently reading 100%. I’ll report back tomorrow. The camera is configured with motion detection deactivated.

1 Like

Hi Again,

I’ve left it a few days and the battery is reading 100% still!

Hopefully this has solved the issue with battery draining. I should have mentioned that when I reset the unit it received an update too.

1 Like

Thanks for update and quick reply. I’ll be sure to keep an eye on this thread. Looking for the same information.

Thanks for sharing. I found a lot of interesting information here!

UPDATE: After only a few ‘live views’ in the past few days my battery is now reading 41%. I should mention this is one of five stick up cams in use and is the only one giving problems.

So, it would seem that the problem is not solved and is triggered by the cam being used.

I’m going to leave it for a few days and then read the battery level again and see if it is draining even when not being used.

2 Likes

UPDATE: I left the cam for 3 days after which it was still reading 41%, so no draining when not in use which had happened previously. I then did a few live views over the next couple of days and the cam battery was still 41% until today - when it reads 42%

Some weird stuff going on here…

I’ll switch notifications on and see what happens.

1 Like

Hi @NickA. Thank you for updating us. Please, continue to keep us informed as you discover more information.

UPDATE: So, I switched on notifications 11 days ago. During that time I have had a number of live views and activity notifications - the combined total is 30. The battery is still reading 42%! For the live views the cam says it will take longer to connect as the battery is under 50% (not sure why this is so).

Just to add this cam is in my house in the Algarve, Portugal and I am currently in England. I have 2 cams in my portugal home and 3 in my england home. All the other cams are working fine - and so was this one for well over a year.

Can’t think of what else to try. Anyone?

Thanks for the update, @NickA! As mentioned in our Community post about battery drain, connection variables can be related to a battery draining. If the device is working harder to connect due to distance or interferences, it can drain battery quicker compared to a Camera that is not. It is also a common factor in live view connection concerns. Check out your RSSI in the device health section of the Ring app, to ensure for optimal wifi signal.

I see a reset has also already been suggested in this thread, which would be the best next step, as well as fully charging the battery if you were on site. Feel free to check back here to see if any neighbors chimed in with suggestions. For a closer look at this or quicker assistance, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

UPDATE APRIL 2022:
Having had endless frustration with my Ring Cam draining the battery over a matter of days I think I have now solved the problem. Having tried everything on the Ring side, I decided to turn my attention to the WiFi connection. The Stick Up Cam connects to a TP-Link extender which is only a few feet away from the Cam and has consistently had a good signal strength so wasn’t considered to be the problem here. Whilst doing a bit of fiddling around with my WiFi network to give better overall coverage, I discovered there was a firmware upgrade for this particular extender. Since the upgrade I’m very happy to report my Stick-Up has been working perfectly for some weeks with only the battery degradation I would normally expect. I’m therefore posting this as the solution to my battery draining problem. I hope this may help others out there who have a similar problem.

1 Like

@NickA Thanks for sharing the answer that ended up working for you, as well as marking it as the solution! Good call on taking a second look at your wifi extender, sounds like that firmware upgrade helped resolve this. :slight_smile: