Steam exiting from boiler outlet pipe setting off sensor and rear lights

Hi

Just installed cameras with lights and sensors combined back and front of the house. The only issue is the rear camera is set off 50 times a night when the boiler activates and steam blows out the flu into the garden from the house. Its cold at the moment so the hot air turns to steam. The camera is over 9 feet up and at least 4 meters away for the pipe and about 1.3 meters higher than the outlet flu. I have turned the sensor setting to people only and that didnt stop the false activations. I turned the motion sensitivity down to its lowest and still the same problem. The only way to stop it is to turn the boiler off and that means the house gets cold or change the sensor zones so as not to include the area where the steam occurs. Problem is that area is right next to the back door and thats what I want protecting. I have to cut out 2/3 of all the whole zoned area (the back garden) to stop the sensor picking up the steam. Its not a massive amount of steam but you can clearly see it in light clouds on the playback videos.

Has anyone else had this issue and what did you do. If the RING team read this then give me some help if you can.

Regards

2 Likes

No matter what you do, if it points in the direction of the heat source it will trigger. I had a similar issue. I had to place my camera in another spot so it covered my door but did not pickup any heat source. The only other thing is to extend the exhaust upward and away from the camera’s view.

2 Likes

Having the same problem - plus next doors boiler is blowing out so much steam.

Not sure what to do for the best …

Waste of money at the mo

Neil

Will the steam damage the camera it self

It is best to avoid variables in an environment that might impact your intended experience. As mentioned above, heat sources can trigger motion detection and lights. If possible, consider other areas of your property that might be suitable for mounting.

1 Like

Can Ring provide a firmware update to prevent false alarms being triggered by boiler steam or heat sources please? I have installed a floodlight camera to give optimum visibility and coverage at the back of a property after it was burgled, but the steam from the boiler triggers the motion detection over 50 times a day - even when it’s set to Person Detection mode. Surely the AI software can be modified to learn the difference between a person and steam? There the must be a solution other than having to relocate the camera, especially after spending so much on what is meant to be a premium product? Please provide a software solution to this as soon as possible. There has got to be away that the camera can identify steam Vs a person! Thank you.

4 Likes

I’m also getting the same after paying an electrician to fit the device and the steam from our boilers flue is setting the light motion sensor off. As mentioned above with it being a premium camera/floodlight I would suspect this could be fixed by ring and a firmware update which I think is much needed. Most people the location of the light on the back of the house would be fairly central and others would be affected by this. Didn’t take a lot of googling to find the issue. Could someone from ring provide an update please?

1 Like

Same problem here. Totally concur with what others have said about a firmware update. Moving the camera is not an option for me

While motion detection is often triggered by moving objects, sometimes changes in lighting or even environmental factors can also cause a motion event. Check out our Help Center article below for more details on refining motion settings.

Aside from settings in the Ring app, physically adjusting the mounting location or angle of your Camera can also help! :slight_smile:

Problem still persists. Please address this issue, the help center referred article is not helpful. I have this problem for few years no solution yet, ring floodlight setting off for the fumes from the boiler.

Please, the help center article is not helpful. Plead fix this.

1 Like

Seriously? This is a massive issue with multiple users impacted and years for remedial action. And no one has said it is solved have they?

When you have put power through a wall not so easy to just move the camera…

Some help or some serious refunding is necessary so I can switch away from Ring… which means a doorbell, burglar alarm, and 4 cameras…

1 Like

Totally agree, some.kind of solution should have been found by now. Ring security is not secure at all, its now just an annoying light activator in tune with my boiler.
The good news is that my experience has stopped others buying into Ring products and falling into the same trap.

Just wanted to add a “me too”. Surely some AI fix is possible here.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.