SSID Character Sensitive on 2.4GHz Network

About 6 months or so ago, my Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus stopped working on the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network. We had not changed a single thing on our end, the doorbell just ceased to communicate. After calling customer service and going through endless troubleshooting steps, it was determined that the 2.4 GHz radio must have gone bad on the doorbell and we either needed to use the 5 GHz Wi-Fi network or order a new doorbell. This seemed like an odd determination, but I accepted it at the time. We have since ordered and received a new Ring Video Doorbell 4. I took it out of the box, charged up the battery, attempted to connect it, and it failed to connect to the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network. We have 2 other Ring cameras on that network, and several other Wi-Fi devices that work perfectly fine. So I started to do some investigating and discovered that the problem is with Ring’s code related 2.4GHz Wi-Fi networks. Specifically, they do not handle special characters such as the “_” or underscore. If I remove the underscore from the SSID name on the 2.4 GHz network, both the Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus and the Ring Video Doorbell 4 connect to it just fine. The minute I put the underscore back in the SSID name, they both fail. However, the SSID name for the 5GHz network has an underscore and they both connect to it just fine. Anyone else have an underscore in their SSID name and tried to connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network?

1 Like