Spotlight: motion detection does not activate

Newly installed Spotlight Cam Plus (battery), motion does not activate.

1. Zone set to show all of the camera view with the exception of the street.
  2. Main camera page: Motion Detection and Motion Alerts on (blue slider)

Device settings:

• Geofence off
  • Motion Snooze off
  • Motion Sensitivity to Max
  • Smart Alert off
  • Motion Schedules none
  • Motion Frequence regularly

Event History (all events) shows a 10:03 PM image followed by a 10:32 AM image. No images of cars coming and going in the driveway. No alerts of this motion.

Live video, light, speaker, and siren all function.
iPhone set for all notification from app turned on.

The camera is mounted 10 feet off the ground with a full view of the areas of interest.

Any ideas?

Hi @TheShire. Try changing your Motion Frequency to Frequent to see if this changes the amount of motion it detects. If your cam has a strong RSSI, it should detect motion normally. Also, review this Help Center article here. It may be beneficial to move your Spotlight Cam to the recommended 9ft mounting height.

I’m replying to the suggestions, by Tom, have all these things done already, and still no notifications and no video captures, except for the racoons, leaving my property at 5:12 a.m. this morning, Feb 16, 2023. I think a replacement is in order since I went through a hour plus long reset, re-installing of the said device, just last Saturday 4 days ago. And like TheShire said no response to vehicles or person motion.

Hi neighbors. Your Ring Camera won’t record continuously, but it should detect and record motion within the Motion Zones. If you feel that your Ring Camera is not detecting motion, please review the following information:

• Check the device profile page and ensure Motion Detection is toggled on. You can view this by tapping the menu in the top left of the Ring app > Devices > your Camera.
  • In addition, verify your Modes settings to make sure your Camera is set to detect and record motion in every Mode.
  • Adjust your Motion Zones so that they capture the common pathways visitors to your property take. I’d also suggest adjusting the Motion Sensitivity and the Motion Frequency (on battery powered devices).
  • Review your Smart Alerts settings to make sure you have not disabled recording of the different types of motion events.

After going through your settings thoroughly and checking that everything appears to be set to your liking, try testing out the motion detection by walking around on your property. Testing it will also help you make any additional adjustments based on your preferences. If you have any further questions or concerns with your Camera, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.