Ring Security Cameras

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Ring’s indoor and outdoor cameras.
U
Spotlight Camera Pro Blurry Video
troubleshooting
cs-support
wireless-security-cameras
I have 10 Ring camera devices on my property. I recently added 2 Spotlight Cam Pro cameras powered by solar panels. Both have the same blurry video issue. The first 5 seconds of video captured after a motion event trigger are blurry, the rest of the video is fine. If I capture a video using "Live View" there are no issues with blurred video. I contacted Ring "support". That process in itself is enough to ensure I stop doing business with Ring. All the "support" person could do was read a script and tell me to check my Wifi. If the issue was Wifi, more than the first 5 seconds of motion captured videos would be affected. None of my other cameras have any problems. This seems to be a problem with Spotlight Cam Pro devices. Does anyone have an idea how to resolve the problem?

19-07-2023 05:37:37

Responses (5)

J
Hi @user51677. You can try [rebooting the Cameras using the Ring app](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/7438395032980-Rebooting-your-Video-Doorbell-or-Security-Camera). I would also recommend rebooting your router by unplugging it for a few seconds and plugging it back in. Double check that your Cameras have [good signal strength](https://community.ring.com/t/how-it-works-your-ring-device-rssi-good-vs-poor/229) as well. We also have this Help Center [article](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360023556192-Fixing-Poor-Audio-Video-Quality-by-Adjusting-Your-Router) with other steps that could help. If you have tried these steps and are still having the same concern, reach out to our [support team](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/213608406) once more to further investigate. You can ask to work with our advanced technical support team since this is an ongoing concern.

20-07-2023 06:08:42

U
Justin, Thanks for the reply. I rebooted the cameras and there was no change. The router isn’t an issue as it doesn’t provide WiFi. I have a number of Ubiquiti U6 Pro access points in the house. I disconnected them and no change. I’ll admit that the received signal strength at -61dBi isn’t great, but I have other Ring cameras with similar or worse WiFi connections and they perform fine. It’s just the two new Spotlight Cam Pros. I probably misspoke when I called the video “Blurry”. It’s really that the first 5 seconds of video captured by a motion trigger are pixelated or macro blocked. After 5 seconds the video clears up and is fine for the duration. If I record a video using “Live Capture”, the entire video is fine; no pixelation. So I don’t think it is a connectivity issue, but something about how these cameras record the video while making a trigger determination. I have turned smart events on and off, but that didn’t help either. I would send these back and get the cheaper non Pro models that seem to work fine, but I procrastinated prior to installing them and they.are past their 30 day return period. How does one get the Advanced team. I asked the fellow that answered my phone call to escalate the problem and let me talk a more technically capable person, but I was told that wasn’t possible.

21-07-2023 08:19:13

T
Hi @user51677. I would suggest reaching out to our Facebook team. Just send @Ring a private message and on of our agents will be able to assist you.

24-07-2023 04:42:33

U
Tom, Thanks for your reply. I’m probably in the minority, but I don’t use facebook, twitter, or similar social media. Is there another way to get support?

25-07-2023 10:07:45

T
Hi @user51677. You can use the following link to contact support. [quote="Justin_Ring, post:2, topic:214048"] If you have tried these steps and are still having the same concern, reach out to our [support team](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/213608406) [/quote]

26-07-2023 06:28:24

U
I have this same issue. Did you ever find a solution?

07-08-2023 06:43:53

U
Per the recommendation above, I contacted Ring Support about this again today. While I again got an overseas support person, she was quite knowledgeable and diligent and was able to provide an answer, though not a satisfactory one. It seems this is a "feature" of the Spotlight Pro cameras that have something called "Advanced Pre-Roll" that captures video prior to the camera triggering at lower resolution. The older Spotlight cameras have a pre-roll function that works differently, and from my experience far better. From my experience this "Advanced Pre-Roll" feature makes the Spotlight Pro cameras useless. In the 5 or so seconds it takes the camera to capture full resolution video, and clear up, the person has already passed through the field of view of the camera so the captured video is useless for any sort of identification purpose. Perhaps Ring will update the firmware of these cameras to improve their function, but for now I have $500 worth of useless hardware. I wish I had purchased the older Spotlight cameras as the ones I have of that model work fine and they are much cheaper. Live and learn.

08-08-2023 05:13:07

U
Not what I wanted to hear. But thank you for the response.

08-08-2023 06:09:00

U
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I suspected all along it was a "feature" or systemic defect of the device, but unfortunately I delayed installing them so that by the time I saw the flawed video it was past the return date. I have 10 Ring cameras on that property and won't be buying any more or recommending them to others until they do something about the "Pro" devices.

08-08-2023 06:27:30

S
This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

07-09-2023 06:28:25

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User