Ring Security Cameras

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Ring’s indoor and outdoor cameras.
U
Spotlight Camera Failing due to Rain
hardwired-security-cameras
cs-support
Hi Everyone, I am having a problem with a Ring Spotlight Cam Pro, plug-in edition. This is supposed to be weatherproof, but it seems clear it is not IP55. The design of where the power cable goes into the unit seems totally flawed as when you inevitably tip the camera down the water easily gets inside as the seal where the cable goes into the unit is not good enough. I have just had a second device fail. Is it the case that I need to spend more money for a cover or hood, or have I just got a bad batch? As this is an outdoor unit, my expectations are that it works outdoors. These replaced a Eufy system as I was tired of charging the batteries but they seemed much more resistant to weather than this device is. I also have a Ring Floodlight Cam, but this has not exhibited any problems due to rain. Would appreciate any advice, thanks

17-08-2023 08:51:40

Responses (6)

C
Hi @user55103. The Spotlight Cam Pro Plug-In is weather resistant, not weather proof, so extreme weather conditions could impact the Camera. If your Camera has sustained any damage from the rain, you'll need to follow up with our support team for assistance. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available [here](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/213608406#callus). If you are outside of the US, please visit [here ](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/213608406)to see how to contact support.

18-08-2023 06:14:08

U
I have been having the same issue. I had a different brand of plug in camera at the same spots for years with no issues. I agree with you that there is a design flaw at the plug in that allow water in and prevent power to the camera. The camera themselves might be weatherproof but the plug in is flawed. I have three of them, ALL ended up not working.

14-09-2023 06:26:34

P
This happened to me as well. It’s under an overhang and the rain hasn’t been hard (0.3” from 2 storms over 24 hours). After the first storm, I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it reset. After the second, it came back on for approx. 5 minutes and went off again. I’m willing to buy a cover for it, but it doesn’t seem that there is one for the Spotlight Plus Wired.

16-09-2023 06:07:32

J
Hey bud, I have one as well and what I did to protect mine was to get some clear silicone and put a little bit, not much, around the plug in area. Yes, it is supposed to be weather resistant but I put it on all of my spotlight cams and floodlight cams (solar powered) I put a little of clear silicone to ensure the weather proof protection and it has not failed on any of mine. I work in the security camera industry and this was a trick I learned years ago when installing outdoor cameras was to put a small bead of clear silicone around the base of each camera and it has never failed! I highly recommend you do this and I can assure you it will solve your problems. Have a good day!

16-09-2023 02:48:58

U
Thanks for the tip. Hopefully Ring will actually fix that flaw. We shouldn’t have to do all that for a product that is supposed to be weather resistant.

23-09-2023 09:38:08

K
Same issue here and this is after some light rain, can't wait for winter to kick in.

29-09-2023 12:22:47

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User